Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery has been scheduled - discectomy/laminectomy

denali_iceddenali_ice Posts: 28
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
May 2nd will be the big day. So close, yet so far away. In theory, I could have the procedure next week, but I really need to arrange for time off work and REALLY need some help with the kids...oh yes, and the whole issue with not being allowed to drive for two weeks.

I have a central L5 herniation involving nerve compression with symptoms all the way into my foot. The MRI also shows a central bulge of the L4 and spinal stenosis. I have had 3 ESI's, physical therapy and have tried to take things one step at a time.

The surgeon did make it clear that there is a chance that depending on how things look, he may decide to go ahead and fuse during the procedure. It seems that there is such a high occurrence of re-herniation, that at this point, I would almost prefer it.

Again, one step at a time I suppose. I have the time off work. I have the date set. I should be able to have a relative come up here to help.

• Hey there! I had a dicectomy done on my L5 in October. Just wanted to wish you luck! My doc had me wearing a brace for about a month after and it was a HUGE help for stability and not moving. I wish you the best with this procedure as mine didn't work and my doc won't do a fusion because of my age. But thats not important here. Just wanted to say Good Luck! And make sure you get somebody to help you out after cause you're gonna need it for the first few days at least.
  • Oh and I forgot...pain meds lol....have you spoken to your surgeon about a procedure called rf, I think that's what it's called it's a radio frequency nerotomy, it cauterizes the nerve coming from the injured area. I had it done on both sides of my lower back, my right side only gets twinges into my butt once in a while, however my left which was worse from the start still goes to my toes but not constantly and neither is as bad as it was before the procedure. And I'm about to have my neck done too, so I do still have faith in this procedure. Just figured I'd throw it out there so you might have another option. Btw I was peeking for a while before I joined too lol. Welcome to the club!!
  • It still surprises me when age discrimination exists on either end of the scale. I have not heard of RF so I am thinking that it may not be offered locally yet - or they may not feel I am a candidate at this point. Either way, I will certainly make a note of it and see what I may come up with.
  • hi denali_ice
    Allow me to offer you precious ideas on your condition.the source is due to lack of essential nutrients in your diet which leads to the complications.
    I recommend you take the following foods.
    Glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate which are naturally occuring substances that help to mantain the structure and health of cartilage (a natural shock absorber).it keeps it well hydrated.
    it also lubricates thus giving the joints the needed lubrication.
    As you grow old your body produces less and less lubricant to the joints hence the condition.
    this food also contains Vitamin C,Tocopherol&ascorbic acid as an antioxidant
    It also contains shellfish like crab and lobster.
    Remember this is not a medicine but a food supplement to prevent further damages and cure the existing complications.
    Yours: fredkayara@gmail.com
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I am one of the people who reherniated within 3 months of my discectomy. My surgeon gave me a choice during my second surgery fusion or discectomy. I chose the disectomy. I wish I would of chose the fusion. I am now needing fusion on l4-5 and s1. The second surgery did buy me some time before needing a fusion, it gave me 3 years of being symptom free before the vertebra became bone on bone. Good luck with your surgery
  • I wish that there was a crystal ball that we could all look into. Thank you, jlrfrye, for sharing your information!

"Nutrition" normally, I'd ignore as post such as yours. But honestly, you made me laugh...so I'll entertain this. Please, please do tell. How can you possibly tie in a bicycling accident to poor nutrition?