Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bedawgsbbedawgs Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had L5 S1 fusion yesterday and i noticed from my hip half way dow is numb,and never had this problem,ready for DOC to come by to ask about it.

• Hi and glad to hear you did ok with the surgery. Hopefully the doctor can provide insight on the numbness. Hopefully it's just from being face down for so long during the surgery.

Best wishes for an easy recovery!
  • After my surgery my left arm and left leg started going numb if I lay flat on my back. Never had a problem before the surgery. hopefully yours is a temporary issue.
    4 level posterolateral fusion L2-S1 with rods and screws and cadaver bone. Spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, sciatica, DDD, facet disease and arthritis. September 2002
  • Yea the Doc said it would go away,its very common.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    You'll find in the first few weeks that you may get a re-occurrence of old symptoms or new symptoms may arise. It's just what happens internally as the body heals when swelling occurs, nerves get irritated, etc. And nerves take a LONG time to heal so any nerve pain you had pre-op may stick around for a while post op. Always mention to your doc, at each appointment, what you've experienced in terms of symptoms but if anything serious occurs between appointments be sure to let the surgeon know.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Just FYI -

I am still numb. I lost part of my right leg post-op. I did have complications which required them to open me back up just 2 days after the fusion.

That numbness is something they like to watch.

You should be okay as long as it isn't spreading. Mine was spreading fast. All down the outside of my leg, across my toes and back up. Me leg felt like a block of wood. It moved when I asked it to, but I could not feel a thing.

I did get a lot of it back. I am left with numbness from the hip down and across my toes - but just on the outside, the inside of my leg is fine.

Something wierd - do you know that your foot is still ticklish, even if you can't feel it.
  • I'm glad you're okay except for the numbness, which I hope goes away. It may or may not be caused by surgical trauma, plus the nerves have as much recuperation in store as the rest of you. Take it easy, and keep us posted. Essmoe