Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Physical today

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Good News
I decided after 7 months of being unemployed that maybe I am ready to return to work. Can I do it? I am not sure but I want to give it a try before I decide to file for disability. I was offered a position at a pediatricians office that I am very excited about. Contingent on passing the physical and drug screen. This has me worried. Can I even pass the physical and even though I have scripts for all my meds will this affect the outcome of me getting the job. I tried to not take my meds so I would not have a positive drug screen but I was unable to do it after day 2. Needless to say I am very worried of the outcome of the physical today. Should I have been upfront with the employer about all my surgeries? Had I done this I am sure they would not of offered the position. How many of the spineys out there have kept their issues secret? I am aware that all my issues will be discovered at the physical but will they tell the employer? I guess I will have my answers today at 1;30 but I am a nervous wreck about it.

• Here wishing you the best. But as for myself I wouldn't lie about my surgery But that me. I'll cross my finger for you

• When you have your drug screen, there's a section where you list the medications you are on. Make sure you list them or that will appear suspicious. Personally, I think you need to reveal to the examiner all of your surgeries. It is up to him/her whether or not they will interfere with you doing your job.

I wish you the very best!

• Susan,

Did you look at the job qualifications and what is required out of you physically? Because you won't injured under work comp you have no reasoning to to disclose your medical information to them. Now if a doctor has placed you on a permanent restriction, then you might want to discuss that. Obviously your going to answer any questions that might be on the medical forms that the doctor is giving you to fill out. But those questions have limitations compared to a regular doctors office, as you have some rights under hippa. Now if any of your injuries are work comp Hippa doesn't apply. But if the meds are definitely going to be in your system at this point and time, i would take them so your as comfortable as possible. Good luck on the job today, hope it all works out for you.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    The physical was canceled due to the weather and wide spread power outages in the city. It has been rescheduled for Thursday morning. Obviously I cant lie when filling out the surgical section of the paper work but I have just received by email a copy of the companies policies and I am afraid I am going to be disqualified for the job because of the physical. The company has a zero tolerance drug policy and requires all employees who are on narcotic pain meds to take a leave of absence. Is this legal? I always thought that if you had a script for the meds you were ok or am I reading this wrong? I try to look at it from a employers point of view and to be honest I wouldnt hire myself. I would be a liability to any company but I want to try and go back to work. I know there are a few on here that are nurses and in the health field, what are your policies concerning taking meds such as narcotics?. This is a huge company that staffs all the area hospitals and private practices. My job would not be a physically demanding job it is a clerical position that has me sitting at a desk 8 hrs a day. If I disclose my surgery history ( 7 ) surgeries on the spine could they deny me employment because of this? If I dont get the job then it is not meant to be, I am just curious about the questions above. Thanks