Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain from hardware? 7 Months post L5S1 ALIF/PLIF combined.

scmgurusscmguru Posts: 103
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,

I'm 7 months post surgery on my L5S1 fusion. I had an ALIF procedure with cadaver bone, BMP and I've got hardware (Titanium rod/screws) on the right side.

Pre-surgery, I had lumbar pain and Sciatica on both sides (alternating side), but mostly on the left.

Post op MRI shows scar tissue but the nerves look like they are free and the the height is good.

Since about 8 weeks post surgery, my right side has started hurting again, but in a different way.

I feel a burning/itching somewhere inside me that I can't scratch. It is directly below the lower edge of my incision on the right side.

The burning most often travels down my leg to the bottom of my foot, usually to the same spot.

I've had a round of epidural injections and a couple of weeks ago, the surgeon gave me an in office cortisone shot.

This seemed to help for about 3-4 days and I then slid down hill and the pain is even worse than before the shot.

The pain is there whether I move or not, though sitting aggravates it.

Is there a particular profile for pain caused by hardware?

Thanks everyone!