Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not letting my chronic pain control my life anymore!!

newhouse17nnewhouse17 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello everyone,

Did any of you watch the Biggest Loser Tuesday night? There is a contestant on there who is a spiney just like us. She has suffered with chronic pain for the last 12 years and was afraid to do any type of exercise which caused her to gain so much weight. Jillian made her push through that fear and do a back bend that made her feel liberated from her fear for the first time is 12 years. She went on to say that that moment has changed her life forever.

This moment really hit home with me. As you know I had ADR and fusion in 2009, and have had struggles of my own. I am tired of my mind telling my body that it can't do anything for fear of the pain!!!I will not let this happen anymore, its time for me to get off the couch and start living my life again. Now I'm not saying that I'm going to go and run 3 miles or do things that I know are just not possible but there are things that we can do to help are body and mind, and exercise is one of them.Last year I bought these DVD's called walk away the pounds so I pulled them off the shelf and dusted them off. Wednesday I put it in the DVD player and off I went. I started slow (1 mile) which was about 15 minutes and modified things as I went along. It felt good to exercise again and relieve some of that stress that's been building up for the past 2 years. I felt great afterwards with minimal pain. I will do the 1 mile for a couple of weeks until my legs are a little bit stronger and then move on to the 2 mile, 3 mile, and so on.

I will not let my chronic pain control me anymore!! I know that I will have bad days ahead, but will learn to push through them and live life the way I'm suppose too, life's to short. Like my NS said, the mind is a powerful thing, it can help you overcome tragedies or make you think that your life is over, it's all up to you and each individual is different. I didn't think I could get off that damn Vicodin but I did (2mnths) and now onto the next. We're stronger than we think.

Lots of Love-Kathy

• Kathy, the Walk Away the Pounds set is by Leslie Sansone. I am a member of her walk club and I have tons of her workouts. I workout daily, mostly her workouts but also a couple of the Biggest Loser workouts, and even lift weights and I take no pain meds other than at night when a really bad flare up hits. I have fibro, chronic myofascial pain, had a spinal fusion in 1998, and just finished a round of injections for lumbar facet joint disease and working out helps reduce my pain. I saw the Biggest Loser too and am amazed at what Bob and Jillian get out of the contestants. Sadly this is Jillians last year as she wants to do more charity work and start a family.

sue in ohio
  • I hate the term chronic pain. It seems like an excuse to not do things or maybe that is just the way I have always heard it used. If chronic pain is any pain that lasts for more than an expected recovery period (example 6 weeks after a broken bone) then I would imagine that anyone over the age of 30 has some chronic pain just from normal aging. Don't they tell us all that our lower backs show normal aging on our MRI's?

Sure you need to check with your doctor to see if you have any restrictions. But I wish there was a giant erase erase erase button for that term "chronic pain".

So Kathy do you have a goal? I need to lose my Lyrica weight. It's not a pretty number....let's leave it there :)

• Good. I agree with your mind-set. I'm always telling myself that I can't walk because my feet hurt and blah & blah. Well I can walk and my feet will hurt, but the difference is that I will be doing myself a favor just by moving my body-helping all of those other other problem areas that cause me so much pain. So yeah, the feet might hurt even more, but I can soak them and enjoy the service I am doing myself.

Thank you for getting inspired and spreading the inspiration along!
  • I so agree with everything you said. I haven't been following The Biggest Loser, but I too had decided a while ago that I MUST get my life back. Through some help from my medical team as well as my attitude adjustment, I'm doing better and better myself and it is contagious to see someone like you who is doing the same thing!! Way to go!
This discussion has been closed.