Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 weeks post op. c5-6 Level of pain

M1ichele35MM1ichele35 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:50 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Today is exactly 7 days post op. My question is this my therapist thinks I should not be having as many painful days. The least amount of pain I feel is a 2. The most is a 10. Most days come in at a 4, or a 5. last week I had 4 out 0f 7. Number 10 days. He's sending me back to the doctor. Therapist says I should have a lot less pain by now, so something most likely not right. Anybody else still at high levels of pain? Is this really not noraml?
advertisement

Comments

• Pain is very subjective and what is normal for one is not for another. You just had a pretty big surgery. Are you 7 weeks or 7 days? Your title says weeks, but the body of your post says 7 days.

It sounds like you are doing some physical therapy. I would listen to your physical therapist and check back with the doctor to make sure everything is okay. Often a patient is supposed to go back for a 6 week checkup. How long has it been since you've seen your doctor? It is always a good idea to make him/her aware of the problems you are having. My surgeon put it simply once when he said "I can't help you if you don't tell me."

I found the most relief with moist heat around my neck and shoulders. What type of pain are you experiencing? I'm wondering if it is muscle related. Be sure to let your doctor know, especially since your physical therapist is encouraging you to see the doc. I wish you the best.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Today is exactly 7 weeks post op. My question is my therapist thinks I should not be having as many painful days. The least amount of pain I feel is a 2. The most is a 10. Most days come in at a 4, or a 5. last week I had 4 out 0f 7. Number 10 days. He's sending me back to the doctor. Therapist says I should have a lot less pain by now, so something most likely not right. Anybody else still at high levels of pain? Is this really not normal?

• First off I would ask what type of pain are you having and where at? Is the pain burning, stabbing aching. Is it the same pain you had prior to surgery and did it ever get better or is the same or is it getting worse. Are you doing more now than you were at week one. It is not normal for pain to continually get worse over time after a surgery. But the question is, is the pain muscular in nature and is responding because you are increasing your activities.

Your therapist is doing the right thing by sending you back to the surgeon, if your having pain levels that high before they proceed with anymore treatments. As neck of steel stated pain is very subjective and therefore they need to be sure there is nothing wrong before proceeding. Sometimes just getting the muscles moving from all that time will cause increased pain. Are you taking any type of muscle relaxer and what are you doing to treat the pain?

Keep us posted on what your surgeon says is going on.