Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is this Sciatica

mikeal83mmikeal83 Posts: 3
Ok this all began about 2 weeks ago.I had a slight acheing from the lower right side of my back down my buttocks into the calf of my leg(not the whole calf muscle but just one side of it).It was mostly an annoyance so i continued to work and it seemed to ease off the more i moved around.In between then and a day or 2 later i done something to make it worse.Not sure what i done but i'm always pretty busy at work.Now the pain is alot worse and it gets worse if i sit down for a long time and then stand up.Kinda feels like a cramp in the calf of my leg.The pain subsides if i walk around for a while.When i cough pain shoots down my leg.I've been wearing a backbrace and it seems to help keep my posture straight.I did notice that i slouch alot when on my computer or practicing guitar so that could possibly be an issue.I was told this sounds like a pulled muscle and i agreed because when i move a certain way the muscle in my butt right around were a wallet would be feels sore like its been strained and i do remember before the pain got this bad i had to walk up and down a very steep hill a couple of times.If i stand straight up and bend over i feel pain all the way down the backside of my right leg but if i stick my right leg straight out behind me and bend over it doesn't hurt as bad.I plan on seeing a doctor if it doesn't get any better soon because its a real pain in the butt literally.By the way i'm a 27 year old male and other than this i feel perfectly fine.I'm just hoping i don't have a ruptured disc or anything because i heard that could be the problem but i think i'll stay positive.Thank you all and if you have any advice it would be highly appreciated.

• Sorry, I don't have much experience with true sciatica, but I do understand neuropathic pain. I'm sure others will come soon who know exactly the pain you are describing and will be able to give you some help. In the meantime, take a look at the following link. It will take you to spine-health produced videos regarding sciatica.
    Good luck, and welcome to spine-health.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Hiya Mike, Welcome To Spine Health :) You need to get checked by a doctor! We can not tell you either way as we are not medically trained. What i can say is I suffer sciatica and it does sound simlar to what i suffer :? . Please get it checked out! Let us know what the doctor says! Speak soon

Angie :H
  • ok folks broke down in tears last night because i was in so much pain so i knew a trip to the ER was in need.i explained my symptoms to the doc and the first word i heard was sciatic nerve.anyways he said he wanted an x-ray to be on the safe side.x-rays look fine he said my disk space was good and all that and pretty much told me i was having sciatica pain.also my job involves alot of sitting at a computer and he said that sitting to much can irritate the muscle and pinch the nerve.he just told me to take it easy and not overdo myself.gave me prednisone and flexirill and told me if i'm hurting in a week to go see dr.hannibal he's a chiropractor.sure glad its not hannibal lector lol.anyways thanks to all and maybe this post will help someone with these same symptoms.
  • Hey there, I would suggest you follow up with an orthopedic spine doctor or your General Practitioner. I was going to say it sounds like sciatica.

My personal advice (and I'm not in the medical field) would be to be very careful with a chiropractor and your back. I would make sure an orthopedic spine doctor is in agreement that this is a good idea. Why? The back is very tricky.

I would think you'd benefit more from PT and improved body mechanics. The Physical therapist will teach you how to safely keep your core muscles (back/abdomen) strong which is key to protecting your back.
  • yea i agree.i been taking this steroid for one day and i already feel improvement.i can walk and take a full step now so i'm thrilled.i'm still gonna take it easy and follow up with the doc.by the way i must correct myself.dr.hannibal is a back doctor not a chiropractor.
  • The causes of sciatica are many but it most commonly results from either a herniated disk or spinal stenosis. Depending on the cause, the pain of acute sciatica usually goes away on its own in four to eight weeks or so.A thorough diagnostic work-up will reveal the cause.Fortunately, sciatica typically resolves without the need for surgery in about 4-6 weeks. However, if any neurologic deficits develop, such as a foot drop or changes in normal bowel and/or bladder functions, then immediate surgery is usually performed.For acute sciatica without any neurologic deficit, the use of epidural steroid injections can be very beneficial in resolving the discomfort.
    For those with sciatic pain due to a herniated disc lasting longer than 6 weeks, surgery has been shown to be superior than non-operative treatment. For those with sciatica or neurogenic claudications lasting longer than 12 weeks, surgery has been shown to be ore effective than non-operative treatment.When surgery is required there are several procedures that may be of benefit. These range from an open laminectomy or laminotomy or even a fusion.

spine surgeons california
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    Please read: Sciatica
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com