Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just when you think things are manageable...

WramblerWWrambler Posts: 1,588
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Matters of the Heart
This not real intense, just a real PIA.
Yesterday while walking across our sloping yard sideways with Shadow he stopped to smell some really good smelling something or other. I gently tugged on the retractable lead and said come on, which he did. I have to watch when this is going on as he trots to the other end of the lead in front.
Just saying "easy" towards the end and he slows down and does not jerk the lead.

So, while watching him I proceeded to step on a patch of ice with my right foot and down I went. It would have been fine except my left knee was locked so I either twisted it or overextended it. I limped up to the house, got ready for work and found out that I now have to lift me left leg up to get it in the Jeep! Ouch...

Being sick and tired of Doctors I decide that I'm not going unless it does not start to get better in a few days.

You think the story is done? No, you're not that lucky...

Last night I took Shadow out in the flat side yard (see there is even a theme to this story!). While out in the yard I had him on a 30' cable and was throwing sticks, he returns them and drops them at my feet for treat. For some stupid reason I stepped onto the porch steps then changed me mind and turned around. Of course I watch the dog and not were I step, so my right foot slips, again, and I slightly sprained my ankle!

So, today I have discovered that it is very hard to limp on both legs at the same time L)

Now my right knee is bothering me because of all the limping going on.

I think I will go have a pity party for me <:P

You are all invited to attend <:P

• Glad you are okay....ice those boo boo's

Poor poor Wrambler....pity pity pity. There I attended your party for a sec! Feel better soon.

BTW, That is the cutest dog ever. He looks like a wire haired terrier of somekind. I had a dog named Piper, that looked just like your pooch. What a cutie and from what I gather very smart and well trained.
  • I hope you get better soon and ice, ice and not the ice on the ground! See your Dr. he may want to check it out further and give you anti-inflammatories or do x-rays if you're not getting better soon and or physiotherapy or compression tensor bandage. Crutches may help also and elevate your knee and foot while sitting or laying down. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks for the invite. I had a blast at your pity party and am sliding home now.
    Hope you feel better. Be careful!!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    When it rains it pours...or when you slip you slip right? How do you know which leg to limp on now?? Not to good!!

I hope that you recover soon and haven't done any serious damage my friend. Do you have to work tomorrow? I hope not so you can put your feet up and ice those sprains. Hope Shadow appreciates all the trouble...I'm sure he does.

I'll be happy to join you for the pity party. I'm there myself just to tired and achy to talk about it. Haha.

Take care and feel better.
  • Wrambler,

Wow, sorry to hear of your butter steps on ice and stairs. Hopefully your knee and ankle will feel better soon. I guess it's the "ice/heat/elevate" game is in play!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Well, the party is mostly over and no hangover! Yay!

All is pretty good except going up and down stairs is a bit annoying on the left knee, so I think I'm safe!

That Knee scared me for a while. It is one I had a "bucket handle" meniscus tear on some 15 years ago. The doc scoped it, clipped the two ends and pulled that piece out.

When I asked him if that was going to shorten the life of the knee he said, "probably, but One, a repair on that was impossible, to small. Two, you don't want to do the repair recovery anyway".

It always makes me nervous when I get any pain in that knee, go figure.
  • You better hurry on out and take the pup for another walk then! I didn't make it to your party in time but if given the correct amount of notice, I've been known to party pretty hard!! OR, you could come over to my place and have the 1,200 pound horse step on your toe and just stand there because he doesn't realize he's standing on it? Take your pick, your place or mine!!
    Glad your feeling better!
  • OR just make me start searching the net...HE's so cute...he just melts my heart when I see your avatar.

glad you knee is okay.
  • cgm said:
    OR just make me start searching the net...HE's so cute...he just melts my heart when I see your avatar.

glad you knee is okay.
    I've been way to busy to keep up.Good I guess.

cgm, We love Airedales very much, but found the breed impossible to find at a "pet" price. My Avatar was my best buddy for almost 12 years, we lost him last year on Good Friday of all days. He now resides in a very ornately carved wood box above our TV and is awaiting us on the Rainbow bridge I am sure! His name was Chewbacca by the way.

Our newest pup is one year old today, He is "Shadow" a Chocolate Labradoodle. He is giving Chewy a run for the money on being a "good boy".

My knee is almost back to normal and the ankle only hurt for a day or two.

I posted a picture of Shadow on here somewhere. I need to upload a more recent one. His fur leans towards the lab and he has big "John Travolta in his youth" waves and grizzle gray hairs speckled amongst the brown.

So, todays party is for SHADOW! <:P

Happy birthday buddy! He got new toys and chews and is one happy fellow! <:P
  • Wrambler,

So sorry I missed your par-TAY, I rarely get out other than for work during the winter months (I'm too afraid of umm... well, falling!)

hope your knee and ankle heal fast- I know what you mean about the fear... I used to have that for my left knee after breaking it years ago...then I broke the same leg the day after I got out of the knee cast and figured fate loves to pick on the worriers ;)

Now I just try to stay loose... if I fall, I can splat instead of break :D
  • Double post, I walked away and did not know if it sent or not.
  • I watched the West Minister dog show last week...There are so many breeds that I would love to own.But the Terriers really melt my heart. Their eyes seem so soulful and the faces are just too cute. My Aunt had a Giant Airdale...He was so fine...and huge. Very smart breed Unfortunately, dogs are much more needy than cats and we can leave for a week to travel. I know what it's like to lose a buddy....I had a cat that I got at 24 and lost at 42....17 years. If that cat could talk!
    Glad your doing much better Wrambler
  • Was a giant too, 105lbs and he could lay is head DOWN on the dining room table.

They are called Oorang by most of us "commoners".
    The dog breeders insist that they do not exist and the name is a marketing gimmick to sell poorly bred dogs...Hey, when the "real" breeders want $800 and up for a pup, what are us poor folks supposed to do?

They say they have hip problems young, but Chewy never had any real issues until he was over 10 years old.

Years ago we had a much smaller female that developed the same hip problems at the SAME age.
    Both dogs lived to the average life of 11 years.

We went to the Labradoodle simply because of timing and this particular dog. He was 3 months old and a kennel puppy. When he and his brother were let loose to run and "visit" us. Shadow ran out and peed. Then he returned to us and never left our side. HE PICKED US, how are you going to walk away from that?