Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I survived my 360 fusion (L5-S1)

tracibennttracibenn Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my 360 fusion on Tuesday. Apparently it went as clean as a whistle. No problems. Surgery was at 7ish and i was in my room by 1 (so i'm told. I don't have any memory of this) The first night was horrid. Very painful and rough. I couldn't keep my eyes open to save my life. I had no idea what anyone was asking/saying. Wednesday afternoon - evening was better. WHen the pain meds started to wear off I would wake up enough to converse with peopoe and maybe watch a show or two on TV. The 2nd post op day was even better. I realized that I was able to lay on my side to sleep and this allowed for more restful naps. Today is day 3 and I'm being allowed to go home. I'm quite shocked that they were in such a hurry to send me home. I'm still in a lot of pain, espeically when the pain meds wear down. have bouts of very tight muscles. PT and OT have both been in to see me briefly and showed me how to get dressed and such. I have a feeling some of the twisting and bending i'm not suppopse to do are going to be tough to not do. I have found myself bending to put socks on or picking something up that I'm not suppose to.
Each day hopefully will get better and better. I only had 1 level done, so my surgery wasn't as serious as some of yours. I'm not being sent home with a walker or bacbrace. Just some good ol' meds.
I will keep everyone updated on my progress!

• Traci - Hang in there! I had a 360 fusion at L5/S1 on April 15, 2010. The first few days were really rough but 9 1/2 months later I feel like a new woman. :) My recovery has gone extremely well and I get more of my life back every day. Just follow your doctors orders, walk as much as you possibly can and DO NOT bend, twist or lift.

Take care,
  • Congrats.

But you must remember, not to bend.
    If you dont have a grabber, look on line to order one.
    It is best for you and money well spent. I am 10 months post-op and i still use mine, and when i dont use it i make sure i squat to pick something up.

Best of luck
  • All surgery hurts, no matter how many levels. You might end up feeling better at home. I found I could get a lot more rest there with no one coming to take my temperature, blood pressure, etc., all the time. Rest up and get well!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • People are always reminding me this is a marathon not a sprint - good advice which I am happy to share:) I am amazed that you CAN bend - not bending wasn't even an issue for me until at least 2 weeks after my fusion - I simply could not physically do it.

Sending good thoughts for fast healing!
  • Absolutely no BLT, and I don't mean a type of sandwich. It stands for bending, lifting and twisting. Follow your doc's orders and take it easy, sweetie. We all care about ya. >:D< Love 'n Hugs, Essmoe