Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why do I have pain here and what can I do ?

TJ987123TTJ987123 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my C7 vertebrae fused with my C6 and I must say that I feel great. 95% of what I was before I broke it skiing but, I elected to fuse it with my own bone as opposed to a dead person's. So they took a piece from the back of my hip girdle (torso).
Now, I am a passionate golfer and I love to work on my game but, when I play more than one day in a row, the spot where they took the bone, swells and, hurts, which makes golfing less enjoyable for me. My question is, what can even be done to remedy this ? I almost see it as useless to go back to the doctor. It is a spot in my body that has no movement. I am just baffled at what are my options. I do not want pain killers to be my answer.
Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance

• How long ago was your surgery? I think your best option is to contact your surgeon and ask his advice. If your surgery wasn't too long ago, you may just need more time to heal.

Best wishes,

• I've heard of several people who had the bone taken from their hip, only to have that area hurt for years. Everybody is different, and too you are young, so hopefully it will resolve over time?

I'm sure your surgeon will be able to give you the answers you seek. This is not a rare practice on fusion surgeries. Me, on both of my fusions, I elected to use cadaver bones since I am in my late 40's. Please let us know how it goes. Welcome aboard!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

I've had a 3-lvl ACDF, but with cadaver bone. I was golfing seven months after that surgery. I then had a lumbar surgery, 1-lvl TLIF, and was golfing six months after that surgery.

Per my dotor's orders, my PT taught me how to swing so as not to hurt my cervical or lumbar spine and hardware. So maybe changing your swing with help of a specific golf coach that specializes in these things can help.

Also, maybe Lidodoerm patches on the area would help. They've done wonders for my lumbar when it hurts.

I agree with Marianne also, that if you're not long out of surgery, it may just take some time, but I've given you some suggestions anyway.