Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My turn

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Well my turn has finally come. I had to begin my SSDI application online. And I had to apply for LTD. The LTD rep was very nice and claims they may have a determination as early as a week or two if they have enough info. If they approve me they will provide a lawyer to help with the SSDI application which is why I am waiting to complete that.

I think the LTD will be approved for now but I am sure the SSDI will be denied. In the end it really won't matter since there is no way I can rely on either as my sole income for the rest of my life. My hope is that the LTD will help me get some retraining or job placement.

One question...do we get t-shirts or hats in this club?

• If you get approval by LTD, you at least get some sleep, hopefullly! It can be very stressful dealing with LTD. But if you keep them informed, via doctor notes, test results, etc. They should have no problem approving your claim, at least until the NO Occ Period. Good Luck!!!
  • Kris,

Nope, no hats, no T-shirts offered!!! Question? Do you just have to apply for SSD, or do you have to be approved? I ask as some policies only need you to apply, but don't require you to be approved.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Apparently I just had to apply. So I started the application and sent them the info they requested. Now I will wait to complete the medical info part until I hear from the LTD company. If they will provide a lawyer I will wait for their guidance. If not I guess I'm on my own.

Such a strange feeling....
  • Kris, know this is a big step for you to take... in just getting "there" that is much to process and accept in itself.

I remember for me it was decided for me, two hand surgeries converging, back-to-back right hand, recovery time and then left hand, recovery time, being out of work close to a year the get through it all. It got decided for me - - I filed for SSDI, got approved right off hand surgeries + spine and chronic pain issues + single. It helped knowing there was hope that I would return to work part-time and phase into full-time and get off SSDI, better income earnings and only 52 at the time. And then circumstances spine, major mva's shifted those plans into LTD.

Either way I know the process and acceptance of LTD versus those best laid plans, active, healthy and retire when I want, is a lot to adjust and process.

My heart-thoughts are with you and hope all goes smoothly in your process of approval. Hopefully know need to in a long-drawn out process :)!!

Best to you dear friend in this new phase of life plan and ((((hugs))).

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    If you don't have it already make sure you get a copy of the EXACT LTD plan/policy under which you are covered. Policies can be altered or changed over time so you want the one version in effect on the first day you were out of work due to disability.

You'll want this as a reference for everything that you need to know about your specific plan benefits, provisions, etc.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Just wishing you good luck with the LTD and your SSD getting approved.

Also i was told all the t-shirts were backordered, so when they come in i'll let you know.
  • I'm on LTD and they allowed me one year to get better. After that time they told me I must apply for Government benefits and once accepted LTD will offset(pay) me minus what I get from Government funds but they have to pay until accepted. I was offered no lawyer and did my application and sent in all my Dr.consults and medical treatment about 30 or so pages and I was phoned and asked something then was accepted. Even though mine is in Canada I think LTD may be the same there also so I didn't have to apply right away with LTD but yours may be different. So what ever LTD pays you 50-60% of your pay depending on how long you've been there you will continue to get that amount until retirement age. It's very hard to live on that amount but otherwise what to do? I hope you get your LTD soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hey Kris,

It stinks but welcome to the club.

It's a club the majority of folks are GLAD they are privlidged enough to join but really would prefer they NEVER had the opportunity.

• Please don't be insulted but I really don't want to be in the club :( I never thought I would say it but I wish I was going to work!!! OMG did I say that??

I think it's all the uncertainty that is making me crazy. Plus my husband is not handling this well. He really isn't accepting the idea of me not working even though there is money coming in. Why is it that men are just not compassionate?

But in the end I really like working. I can't accept the idea that at 45 I am done. So why doesn't everyone come on over and join my pity party? Have to limit the cocktails because of our meds but I can do some pretty nice appetizers.
  • Wish I had a dollar for everytime I have said, "I wish I could just go back to work."

Matter of fact, if I did have a dollar for every time I said it there would definitely be no financial need for me to work. But then again, it's not just the financial$ that makes us wish we never had to join this club in the first place.

It's all good! After this upcoming surgery, I'M GOING BACK TO WORK!

See there, ANOTHER DOLLAR!!!!! Cha Ching!!!

What time will the appetizers be ready?
  • Right after I figure out how to make virgin martinis. Damn I miss them.