Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

non cervical fusion. advice.

miss grumpymmiss grumpy Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
i know all advice is only an opinion. but can any one help after 7 months there is still no fusion happening so now the consultant wants me to do as much as im happy doing, doing nothing and wearing a collar since the op im confused . he wants to see me in 3 months but he says i can swim,use an exercise bike, turn my head, drive, but i never asked about running and free weights, he said that i should start to try and lead as full a life as pos'.but they cant just leave me with what i think is i bit of a loose neck so to speak, can they? :/

• It takes up to a year for fusion to occur, unless you had BMP. Did they check for signs of fusing by x-ray or CT scan? My doctor told me the best way to really tell is by 3-D CT scan. Try not to worry too much because there is still time for fusion to occur. Also, the hardware they put in holds everything together, so your neck should not be "loose" unless the hardware is moving, and this would have been evidenced on xray. I would suspect that your doctor would have been more concerned if that were the case. Titanium is very strong and can hold things together indefinitely.

I started wearing a bone growth stimulator at around 9 months post op. These are designed to promote bone growth by using magnetic force. I only had to wear mine for 1/2 hour each day. You may want to ask about a bone growth stimulator to stimulate things. They are very expensive, but research shows they do help. Also, are you a smoker? Smoking interferes with the fusion process.

Eating a well balanced diet is important as well. Ask your doctor if there are supplements he recommends to help with the fusion process. Getting good exercise also increases the blood flow around the fusion area, which can help with healing. I really can't tell you specifics on what to do, but I would definitely be taking a good multi-vitamin and speak with your doctor about what else you can do to enhance bone growth.

Even though the doc doesn't need to see you for three months, don't hesitate to call his office with your questions. They are there to help you and want your fusion to be successful. :)
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • im confused about the hardwear i have, its a cage but im not sure what its made of and i dont have a plate because the bone wasnt good enough to take the skrews. i v been imagining that im walking round with no secure attachment, so thats not the case, im pleased about that, my consultant was very positive about me moving my neck, which i thought was a big no!. untill the bones fused. and has been the advise theyve given up until now.he said it could take a year to 18 months to start fusing. im going to be having a nerve conducting test because they think i have nerve damage. from the compressing im assuming.
    i dont know how thats done and wether its painful, im hoping not.
    P.s i'm a non smoker. Tina