Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

UTI after surgery

tracibennttracibenn Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
UGHHHHH! I have a UTI from the catheder. I came home yesterday after my 360 fusion. I had my cath removed Wednesday (surgery was tuesday) and had problems getting anything to come out. After the bladder scanned me and saw I had a TON of urine sitting in there , they had the CA straight cath me. I should have stopped her when she "missed" the first try, but I didnt. She tried poking a few times and finally got it. I know she went in the wrong area ...aka my vagina...right before she got in it in the wrong spot. I thought to myself...did she really just retry with the same tubing?? and sure enough she did,and she was getting urine out. Well,I felt relief then but now sit here with a horrid burning sensation and the urge to keep going to the bathroom. I told the nurse before they discharged me and her response was, "go home and drink cranberry juice, that should help". WTF anyway, I called my dr and they called in a RX for some bactrim. Hope it helps fast because I cant keep sitting on the toilet!!!

Sorry for the vent!

• I'd be angry too! The nurse who didn't know a urethral opening from a hole in the ground - what an idiot. Unbelievable! I hope you reported her to the Director of Nursing, and I sure >:D< hope you'll be over that nasty infection soon. Love 'n Hugs, Essmoe >:D<
  • Dear Traci,

I have had four major operations and three times had a UTi from catheterization. The first time they did not give me a permanent catheter, with the result that I could not get anything out, like you, and they had to use a catheter after all to empty my bladder. I did not get an infection then, but waiting for the nurse with a full bladder was torture. So I was glad to get a long-term catheter after the other surgeries - but then I had to cope with the UTI's.

When I renovated my bathroom I insisted on adding a bidet, even though the bathroom is small. This is a wonderful appliance; every woman should have it. If I have difficulty passing urine I fill the bidet with warm water and relax in it. If you have no space, buy a plastic sit-bath that fits over the toilet seat.

Good luck!