Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Big Setback - C-Spine/T-Spine Surgery Cancelled

JoydancerJJoydancer Posts: 463
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Surgery in cervical/thoracic spine cancelled/delayed.

My lumbar has gone chronic pain and inability to get around well - - have disc bulges acting up - - "screaming" for attention :( MRI overdue last one 2007, hoping spinal nerve block and rhizotomies will work as it did in 2007, so I can move forward with c-spine/t-spine nerve surgery. Know I'm asking for alot last MRI showed changes and advanced disc bulges on 2 levels. (Had rhizotomies in 2005 and 2008)

Have appt. with neurosurgeon close to home not out-of-state surgeon who was to do my surgery. Need to get established with a good neuro-ortho surgeon close to home (life in small community), my other one retired 6 months ago. Have an appt. in Orlando this Wed. Feb 9th - - bummer that wassame date I was supposed to have my surgery :(, but good news is I can get in that soon :).

Another frustrating chapter of living with advanced degen and injuries in being a "Warrior Spiney" - - know you other
Spiney Warriors know and understand.

Appreciate your continued support and prayers. >:D<

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Not sure if I missed it, what led to cancellation?
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • As stated, I'm in state with chronic flare-up + pain & trouble with movement/functioning with lumbar...

<"My lumbar has gone chronic pain and inability to get around well - - have disc bulges acting up - - "screaming" for attention...">

Need to be in good stable condition and not with severe pain in low back - - I'm unable to function with basic routine & functioning - - no way could I be stable enough to undergo major complex C-Spine T-Spine surgery + challenging post-op.

• Hey Joy,

When I had my surgery had the same thing going. Which my surgeon quickly had a injection placed in prior to surgery, and then of course the meds they give post op helped so much. Also post surgery a month out they did another injection to help and he did have to help me through with some roids. Whom is the surgeon who was going to do the c-spine surgery? Why is it they couldn't take care of your lumbar issues as well. I am sure they can fly you right in a MRI as a emergency surgery sense you are slated for surgery and he/she would need to know if there would be a problem post surgery.
  • you will get some answers about what kind of treatment you will need when you see your dr on Wednesday.

If you have had problems with your lumbar spine for a while, then you have had "chronic pain".

I don't understand why you have the impression that you are not stable enough for surgery. Many people are as you are when entering surgery, and their surgeries are challenging. In fact, it is more common than not. I saw it everyday when working at an orthopedic hospital several years ago.

I hope that you get a firm diagnosis so you can get to a resolution of your pain.

Good luck,

• Janelle,

Sorry your back threw a wrench into the monkey works! Hopefully they can get your lower back under control and then be able to address your T/C spine surgery.

As always, I am sending you positive prayers and strong energy to help you deal with all of this. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Had appt. with my neurosurgeon close to home in FL re: Lumbar yesterday. (Neurosurgeon who I had previous 3 yrs retired and needed to get established with one close to home.) Things went well with getting MRI scheduled for my lumbar (update since 2009) with break-thru flare-up & chronic pain with disc bulges - - since my rhizotomy in 2009 pretty much resolved.

Was just 3 weeks out from my C-Spine T-Spine surgery with lumbar pain worsening & disabling me with just basic routine

As my previous post explained...my C-Spine T-Spine surgery scheduled for Feb. 9th out-of-state was delayed...

MRI set for next Monday - - will be good to see what's a goin on - - and hoping can get resolved with injection to get things back on track with my C-Spine surgery!

Also was good - - was able to review what is up for my C-Spine surgery and assessment to do minimally invasive discectomy on 2 levels, C-6-7 with bone implant for severe nerve compression on the left and moderate on the right. My left arm/hand/fingers in rapid deterioration with neuromuscular damage.

The neurosurgeon agrees with the complexity of my spine, curvature, upper surgical fused 3-levels (bone fused) deformity two upper levels... saying, he saw "it is a good choice because of the complex issues in three areas of my c-spine and into t-spine and doing more invasive re-construction and implementation of hardware, would be highly complex and with it comes high risk with requiring yet even more follow-up surgery and all with yet even more risk and difficult surgeries to undergo!"

So good to receive that - - knowing the neurosurgeon who did my first surgery is right on track with my challenging spine!

So I see yet again - - "all things worked out for good" in this delay... and my lumbar spine getting my attention....I was able to get this confirmation and another neurosurgeon who is good with complex spine assessment (his years when he was with Mayo and as professor teaching). TUG! Thank you God!

Trusting process with lumbar and scan next week and all things will unfold well and what my "spine agenda" is next !

Appreciate your prayers.