Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck pain and now strep throat....

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi friends. I've come for a little sympathy I guess. The last week I've been doing some tiling and installed a vanity for some people. I'm supposed to finish some drywall and paint this week. I've been fighting a headache and nausea/queasiness all week and the past couple of days my neck/shoulders have been aching. I blamed that on the work I've been doing though.

Today I finally gave in and went to the urgent care clinic. Sat there from 12 until 3:30. Not good when your neck/back/butt hurts anyway so I was and am miserable just from the visit itself. I had a strep test and bloodwork. They said I have strep throat and some kind of infection in the glands in my neck. I wonder if that has anything to do with the pain I'm having down the back of my neck and in my chest?? After sitting there waiting that long to see a doctor I saw a nurse practitioner for about three minutes so didn't even get to ask many questions. Also by that time I felt so bad all I wanted was to get out of there! I have a script for Cefdinir and a compound for throat pain but my pharmacy is closed today. Ah well...

Just wanted to whine to you all. I'll be honest with you, I feel rough. I was telling my husband about my neck hurting last night and he said "you tell everyone you're so much better but you're not". I told him that at least my hand doesn't feel like someone is driving a nail in it. That's definite improvement if you ask me.

Thanks for reading this. I know I can tell you all how I really feel. Thanks.

• Glad you are being treated for that--I'm guessing the med you mentioned is an antibio?

Strep is dangerous--it can attack your organs.

Sounds like a good time to rest & take care of yourself as best you can.

It's so hard, especially when you are sick in bed, it can be nearly impossible to get comfortable.
  • Yep, my spinal menengitis came from a strep infection. I was taking antibiotics, and on the very last day of those was when the menengitis symptoms struck. By the time I reached the hospital I was convulsing, so yeah,strep throat can be serious and those antibiotics are important to take as directed. Some folks stop taking them whenever they start to feel better, and this is another reason the Drs always say to finish them.

I'm sorry you are feeling sick. It might be hard to tell right now if those back symptoms are a seperate issue or just part of what is going on with your infection and making you feel so bad, but when you start to feel a little better you will probably know then. I hope that is soon.
  • Debbie,

That bites about the streep, be sure to get the meds ASAP, as that is contagious. The additional pain you in could be from the work this past week, but also the infection. My experience with strep was entire body pain. I wouldn't doubt if you have fevers as well adding to the pain. Try and get some rest and get the antibotic going as soon as possible. Hope you feel better. Where always open and your not complaining anyway. If you were doing a bathroom this week I doubt you had much time to complain to your H. Maybe you could find him something for his pie whole, jk. Feel better.
  • Sorry to hear you're feeling rough I hope you get better with the antibiotics soon. I wonder if I could get you to help me install my vanity I have one from 1947 and it looks real shabby.. Anyways drink lots of juice and water and Popsicles help the sore throat and keep your neck warm. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Debbie, you poor thing, feeling so sick and tired. You have my sympathy.

Now....get back to work!

I think you have actually highlighted one of the biggest challenges that we face when we have long term pain and disability.
    And that is----the difficulty of still having a life and getting things done, with out over doing it and having a relapse or 'flare-up.'
    It is much harder to achieve this balance than you might at first think.
    As soon as you feel good again, off you go and catch up. Next thing-WHACK.
    So hard to know when is enough and just stop for the day. Seems a waste of 'good' time, yet we know that we just have to do it.
    And here I am, headache already, and still on the PC!
    Get well soon-how come you are working outside when it's winter?
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Yes it's an antibiotic. I'm hoping my husband will bring it to me on his lunch break so I can get started. I feel so bad this morning. I've been drinking a lot of water and hope to go out for a walk after it warms up. My body aches and my skin is sore so I'm hoping some exercise will help. I'm not one for lying around...makes me hurt all over.

I hope you're doing okay today.
    You're right. It's hard to tell if the infection is causing my pain or if it's my 'normal' overdone it pain. Thanks for your concern. I'm sure I'll feel better soon.

Hope you're well.
    How are you today? I hope you're feeling much better.
    I'm staying home today and not doing very much unless I feel a lot better. I'm like you in that my whole body is aching. I haven't had strep in twenty years (that I remember) so I guess I've forgotten what it feels like. I had it 2-3 times a year when I was younger and it was always bad. My son and nephew had it a lot through the years but it wasn't bad for them. Strange.
    I just get so anxious worrying about what I should be doing, like finishing that job, that I can't relax. Everyone always tells me I worry to much and they're right but what can I do? That's the way I'm wired evidently. My hubby did tell me to stay home today. Sometimes I think it's me who takes what he says wrong you know?
    Hope you feel good today and can eat! Let me know how you are ok?

I certainly would help you! Be happy to. It's really easier than we think. I used to just be afraid to do things for fear of messing up...now I say if I mess it up I'll fix it or find someone who can. lol.

Thanks for your concern my friend. I hope to feel better soon but so far I feel worse. Of course I haven't got the antibiotics yet. I wish I could have got an injection and got it over with you know? My glands are really swollen and painful. Looks like an egg on one side!

Hope you're having a nice day. Stay warm and take care.
    You're so right! I know that I'll never learn. I'll continue doing this way until the time comes that there's no way I can do anything and then--ah, who cares then?? That's life right?

Sorry you're still having the headaches. I hope you haven't been overdoing things so much lately.

I'm sorry I haven't PM'd you lately. I'll make sure to do that soon. Soon as this vice and hammer loosens it's grip on my head...before my brains (the few of them) splatter all over and make a mess for me to clean up. Can't have that! I don't feel like cleaning it up.

Take care,
  • So sorry you have Strep - have to say that word terrifies me .. I had Strep Throat 3 time within about 9 months when I was 20 years old (long time ago) the 3rd time the DR threatened to take my tonsils out of the last round of antibiotics did not get it.. well she must have scared it out of me because never had it since! It is horrible - I do hope you feel better soon - get some water ice, popsicles etc .. they numb your throat and added fluids ... Get well soon - thinking of ya!
    Both my kids have been sick the last 4 days that I have literally cloroxed wiped my house 100 times and washed the skin off my hands and theirs - LOL!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Strep is serious stuff. I hope you have good results with your meds. It may be the culprit for some of the mysterious pains youre getting.
    Get well soon!
    Jim :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Yes, and you need to be really better before you get busy again, as it is so easy to relapse and get it all again.
    It will be worse as you will be weakened.
    Leave it a few weeks to be sure.
    You don't want to be on antibiotics if you can avoid it.
    As the antibiotics will kill the goodies and the badies (all the same to it), remember to take some essential bacteria supplements afterwards. Even a well supplied yoghurt.
    Mary, hope your kids are feeling better and that your skin is still intact after all the bleach. (I'm a bleach-er too lol) I hope you don't get the bug next. I'm trying to keep my germs to myself!

Jim, I think you may be right. I hurt so much yesterday and last night. My back is so bad right now. I couldn't sleep for my hips and back aching and feels like my spine is under pressure. I started the antibiotic last night and hope it works soon. My glands are swollen so much today it looks like I have mumps on one side. So needless to say I still feel like crap today.

Peter, I wanted to go work a little today but it's not going to happen. Why do you say no antibiotics? I'm drinking enough water to float a boat and do eat a lot of yogurt. I guess I'm just wimpy because I really haven't been sick in years. I'm sitting here with my heat pad on my back and an ice pack on my head today.

Hope you're all well as you can be today.
  • DanActive Probiotic drinks are good too for when you are taking Antibiotics - I drink them everyday normally and finally got my 4 year olds to drink them ..feel better soon and don't overdue it - Strep takes awhile to get rid of as saw from my experience years ago ... Take Care! Plenty of rest and fluids..
    don't forget popsicles and water-ice give extra fluids and are nice and cold on your throat!

PS.. my kids are better and at school today finally. Now my hubby is in bed .. here comes the clorox again :-)
    Glad the kids are better. Sorry hubby has it now. Hopefully you won't be next.

I'm still drinking lots of water, eating crushed ice, and popcicles. Not feeling well at all today. Sitting or lying here is killing my hips/back but I feel to bad to stand much. :''( Ah well, this too shall pass...

Take care and thanks for your concern.
  • Debbie,

Hopefully your antibiotics are starting to kick in? I hope you caught it quick enough that no other issues arise. I so hope you are feeling better soon girl friend. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi Debbie, I'm not saying don't take antibiotics if that is what you need, but they are hard on the body and are best avoided if possible.
    They kill off all bacteria in the gut, and as the gut is the major provider of your immune system,you are vulnerable to other illnesses until your immune system recovers.
    So you need to help it along with those bacterial supplements.
    Somebody just shoot me and put me out of my misery.
  • Feel so bad for you - hang in there - hopefully antibiotics will kick in soon and you will start to feel better! Take Care!
    Thanks Mary. I gave up and went back to bed this morning after taking a phenergan for nausea. At least that helped me go back to sleep for a while. My son said that when he woke up the first thing he thought of was that something was wrong with mom because I hadn't been telling him to get up. Then when he saw I was in bed it scared him. Guess you can tell I'm not one to lie in bed.

I've felt so bad today that I couldn't even sit here and hold my head up. I made myself take a shower (fix myself up a little lol), straighten the house and do some laundry. You know this bleaching/cleaning everything is rough when you have to do it for yourself when you're the one who is sick isn't it? Usually if I make myself get moving I'll feel better but it ain't working.

Has anyone ever had strep or whatever and feel like it's settled in your joints? I swear my back and hips are killing me. I could stand the sore throat but this pain is awful. My throat looks much worse today--completely white. Also my incision site is to painful to touch. Should I be concerned that the infection may cause problems there?

Thank you all for reading. I'll quit being a big baby soon...maybe.

Take care and feel good.
  • You are not a big baby and deserve sympathy. I don't know if strep can impact your surgery site - I would assume since it has been 4 months the wound itself should be healed but I am no DR so maybe you should check in with the DR who did your surgery - maybe just call and let a nurse there know to be on safe side.. Also I had Strep 3 Times in a 9 month period - was a long time ago but I will never forget the body aches -- I think it is your body fighting the infection - do you have a fever - if so fevers always make my legs and back ache ...

I had to laugh when you said you were bleaching your own germs in your house - I got the dreaded swine flu on Nov 2009 - 103 fever for a week - it was horrendous! Could not sleep - legs hurt soo bad from the fever! Everyday no matter how bad I felt I would get up shower to be clean and bleach the house - all normal areas everyone touches and then go back to bed.. My hubby and kids never got it - could not believe it!!! Do our craziness does work - not all the times - because I have done that for other illnesses that everyone still got - who knows!

Who did you get the Strep from - anyone you know had it ??
    Hang in there and hopefully tomorrow will be better :-)
  • Hey sunny - just checking in - are you feeling better yet - hope so! Thinking of you!
  • I used to clean and bleach everything but would encourage you to use a steam cleaner with water. It cleans over 99% of germs and way healthier than breathing in bleach and wear a mask if you're bleaching things. My steamer for floors comes apart and is hand held to steam your clothes, curtains. walls, carpet etc. I pour vinegar on the floor and use the steamer to clean it and never seen a floor cleaner! I hope you're feeling better now. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
    I haven't been on my computer in a couple of days. I've been feeling about as bad as I can remember ever feeling. If I'm still feeling bad tomorrow I'm going back to the doctor and get a different antibiotic or something.

I hope that you're doing well and that you've had a good weekend. I'll try to write more tomorrow. Thanks for the thoughts my friend.

I don't have a steamer yet but have been researching them trying to decide which one I'd like. I haven't been bleaching any more than absolutely necessary the past few days. I try to just keep my germs to myself...haha. I hope no one catches this stuff that's for sure. It's not fun.

I hope you're feeling okay my friend. How's your pain these days? Hope the esi's are still helping you?

Thanks for checking on me. Hope to write more tomorrow.

• I hope you feel better soon. Strep is NO FUN. Especially if your neck already hurts. I can relate b/c I recently had bronchitis and had to balance the bedrest I needed vs getting up and moving. 3 lumbar surgeries and two cervical ACDF make me very stiff if I stay in bed too long as I can never get comfortable in one position.
  • I have had 2 ACDF 2005, 2010. I am fused C4-C7 with re-do last July. It is really important to keep smoke free to help your fusion heal well. After my fusion in 2005 I had to go back to work (single mom w/ 2 kids 11 and 17 at the time) and for health insurance. Since I was an RN took about 800mg of Motrin 3x a day to get cleared to return to work. Found out when I had to have my re-do that Motrin also hinders healing of the fusion. This time I have been following my Doctors orders. I have not gotten any pain relief from this re-do of my fusion but films show new bone growth so fusion is healing. I wish you the best with your healing and battle with tobacco. I know its hard.
  • I feel that way at least a couple X a week. My hubby and my poochies keep me going for now. Hang in there.
  • I sure have been thinking of you and sending out good {{{vibes}}} and now a prayer your way. I just don't like thinking of people being sick, and I'm sorry that you have been feeling so poorly.

I would like to get one of those steamers too...lol.
This discussion has been closed.