Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cath111 - Checkin' in

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Water Cooler
Hi fellow spineys.

I've had a few PMs from members because I haven't been on and posting as much as I had been in the past, even as recently as two weeks ago, so I wanted to take the time to check in and update you all.

As most of you know, I've started a new job and I'm still trying to get used to the new schedule, routine and how to utilize my time the best, so please bear with me as I adjust to my new life.

The job is going well and my new boss told me that I was chosen because they know I have the skill, knowledge and desire to make big changes in the Copy Center that I'm running. They want changes - new processes, new machines, new capabilities and in addition I have all the work to do. So presently, with the person I'm replacing still there, I'm learning what jobs come in, what we do with them, my role in the company, etc. I'm lucky that I still know a lot of the people there, even though I worked there over 10 years ago, and have been welcomed heartily. I'm considered a "retread" - someone who comes back to work after leaving years ago.

Physically, my body is also getting used to the new stuff. We've had a lot of cold and snow, so in addition to putting my body through new regimens and stesses, the driving twice a day in the bad weather and the cold is taking its toll. I haven't had to do a lot of lifting (yay), and I'm very lucky that I'm able sit, stand and walk in varying degrees throughout the day. I do have half-day company meetings coming up and we'll see how that goes, but usually standing is the worst for me.

So, that's basically the long and short of it. I apologize that I haven't been on much to help others as I have in the past, but know that I'm thinking of you and that I'll be back on a regular basis when I get this routine down.

Take care my friends, and know that all is well with me and I'm hoping that you all are continuing to find the help you need with each other as is always the case here. This forum is full of friendships and understanding, the kind you can't find anywhere else, and I'll always continue to be a part of it.

• from you and fantastic news that your settling into your new routine, may it continue to get better and better for you cathie.

it really is good news that your getting your life back

yes you are missed, but im sure we all realize that you have a big transition happening

• hey cathy
    i'm glad the jobs going good and of course you've been missed.
    I hope things continue to go good for you and your body won't give you any problems..
    It must feel good to be back working...i miss my old job alot...

all the best to you
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • hey cathy
    i'm glad the jobs going good and of course you've been missed.
    I hope things continue to go good for you and your body won't give you any problems..
    It must feel good to be back working...i miss my old job alot...

all the best to you
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Howdy Cathie,

No need to apologize at all! It's sounds like you are adapting back to working pretty well. I'm so happy this is all coming together for you. You go girl!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • You are indeed missed but we all are so happy for you.
    We all want this new(old) job to work out for you. I hope you can avoid lifting. At my last job I had to do a lot of heavy lifting and I know that is why I am in such bad shape tody. After a lumbar fusion one should not do such heavy lifting as I did.

Good luck girl. Please take good care of yourself.
    Thank you for reporting in.

Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • Thanks for the update and glad it's going well at work and must feel good to be needed having knowledge from working there before. Best wishes in your endeavors. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks for the update and glad you are back into the working world and seem to be balancing all well! Hope your adjustment continues to go well and you have been such a help to me and others so always remember we are here for you too if you need us! I hope to be back in the working world within next few weeks and trying to prepare for the adjustment and what I think I will need mentally and physically to adjust. Continued well wishes your way! Thanks!
  • Good to hear things are working out for you.

Just be carefull running around in that Denver snow so you dont slip and hurt yourself again.
    A good friend of mine from the Marines lives right there 1st town jsut south of Denver. I dont remember the name.

Good luck to ya.
  • This is one painful day today. I don't know what has set it off, weather, what I've been doing or what, but my neck is killing me here at work. I've done no major lifting today, just a lot of bending.

Anyway, out of meds so can't wait to go home in 30 minutes.

Thanks for all the kind words. I miss being here. But I do have President's Day off, so you may see me a lot on that day. :-)

• Cathie, I was so happy to read about your return to work, and like many others, I wish you all the best. But with us guys the flip-side to joy for you working, is concern about the risk of hurting yourself or just having more pain. So - I am very sorry to hear you are in pain today. I hope that last half hour went fast, and that you are now resting.

I have suggestiongs I wanted to make about work - basically about the way your environment is structured at work, and can any changes be made to help reduce the physical load of the job. For example - you talked about bending down all day - why are you bending down? Can the things be moved up? Can a little trolley or something help you? Well - you get my drift. There are even organizations that help workers get equipment to help them work better - like standing desks where they go up down, depending on whether you want to sit or stand (walk around) - Oh if only they had a bed desk! I don't know your particular circumstances - but there are lots of resources in this area - even help from the State (in some states) to buy equipment. Or maybe there's just some simple changes to the environment, tasks.

It sounds like you are a very valued employee - and the Company really wants your experience - so things that help you manage your pain will help them as well. It seems like your best value to them is your knowledge, experience, creativity, etc. - rather than your bending skills.

I don't know - perhaps you've already gone through all this, or it's not possible or whatever.

Do look after yourself, feel better, and I really wish you well with your job.
  • Thanks for the reminder about the bending. My situation is such that I have to load paper into copiers on a regular basis, so I've been bending down to the paper trays. But I so appreciate your reminder that I can squat down instead of bend.

We have stools at all the stations that require me to do the other work, all can be lowered or lifted and I've already had one of my previous buddies (who happens to be the maintenance guy) fix some things in my office. But I'm moving to another area in a couple of weeks so I'll get everything set up perfectly then.

I think that mostly, I'm moving more than I have for a long time, sitting and standing alternately and lots of walking, which is fine.

Again, thanks for the reminder for me to watch what I'm doing. I don't think I can help the neck pain too much, that's pretty much a permanent issue, but with the new insurance in April and plenty of vacation and sick time, I'll get FJIs and hopefully that will help.

Take care,
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I'm so happy for you Cathie. Back to work, How great is that? =D>
    I hope you can keep the pain at a minimum. And enjoy your entry into the work force! <:P
    Jim :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Sorry to hear you had a tough day at work. I have to say although I am not back to work yet I have been increasing my activity daily to see how much I can take .. example - got down on floor and played a board game with my kids then we moved to setting up a truck obstacle course etc .. so down on the floor with the kids for like 2 hours. My kids were so happy that I was playing with them again for a lengthy time .. well I was in agony the next day so I know this such a long process or maybe just lifelong and have to know limits - won't limit my play with my children but I realized when I got back to work I am preparing for some pain and exhaustion.. Thanks for sharing and hopefully once you are in your new setup it will work right for you and help to keep you painfree! Take Care!

• Sorry that you have had such a bad pain day, but it was almost inevitable. I hope that you are feeling better again now.

Do watch that bending. In my job (teaching assistant), I have to do a lot of bending, or at least getting down low to the small tables that the children are working at. My chair never seems to be in the right place, and although there is a child who has the job of moving my chair for me, once they are working, I don't like to disturb them. Also I have to keep moving around to support the various children, so am never in the same position for very long.

I have tried squatting, but that flared up my knees. Lately I have been kneeling on my right knee (which is what I did before surgery), which allows me to keep my back straight. Well my right knee has really flared up and now my physio has recommended that I don't kneel on it.

I'm sure that things will get easier for you.

I have certainly found that some things that caused pain when I first went back to work, I can now do quite easily.

My physio has been great helping me. I tell him what I struggle to do and he gives me exercises or tells me how to position myself to avoid hurting myself. It amazes me how helpful his advice is. :D