Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Great News

dschmidt56297ddschmidt56297 Posts: 32
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Saw the surgeon today. Am able to stop wearing hard neckbrace. Only need to wear a neckbrace for comfort now. Also can start driving short distances. Go back in 6 weeks to see if I can go back to work and to start PT.

• Congrats.
    It sure feels good to get rid of that hard plastic brace.
    Dont have to walk around feeling like a robot.

Make sure you wear the soft one tho any time you are out of the house. Just for protection.
  • Congrats Diane.

I just wanted to tell you the very strange thing I found when I switched to the soft brace from the hard one. When you're wearing the hard brace, people open doors for you, some come up and ask if you had cervical surgery, and you're basically treated like you need help and have been through a difficult time.

With the soft brace, the only thing I got were people looking at me like I was in the middle of a lawsuit trying to look like I was hurting when I really wasn't.

LOL, it's strange but true and I hope you don't find the same situation I did. Also, you can buy some long colored socks, cut the toe out and have a cool cover for your brace. I attended a company holiday party in my soft brace and had a nice black sock to put my brace through, so I looked very fashionable. :-)

I know the relief of having that difficult contraption hidden away in the closet, hopefully forever.

Don't forget to continue to take care of yourself - your body is still working to fuse and heal.

• Great news on the removal of your hard collar! I was so excited when I got to take the hard brace off - good that you have a soft collar - my NS said No to the soft collar and think I needed it in my transition as my neck throbbed for a week after taking the hard collar off .. heavy head I guess! Hope the rest of your healing continues well - keep us posted!
  • Thanks for all the replies. People do look at you funny when your out with a soft collar. Like either I'm in a lawsuit or trying to get attention. I've been really carefull when I'm out because it is really icey here because of all the snow we've had. I've been wearing boots with a traction device on the soles that look like little spikes. Did drive this morning to go to coffee which is 2 blocks away. Most of the time I stay at home and read. I'll go back in 6 weeks to get some more xrays and to see if I can go back to work or not.