Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery on 2-7 - Questions

kaufman1968kkaufman1968 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello -
I had a discectomy on Monday and I was feeling pretty good after and most of yesterday. Last night I started getting some pretty severe pain down the back of my leg when I sit down and get back up. I don't want to call the doctor because I've read that this is probably normal, but I'd like to ask if this has been common with the rest of you? Most of my sciacia pain prior to the surgery was in my hip, calf and foot. I did have pain in the back of my leg, but it wasn't constant - and neither is this. From what I read, it seems that fusion surgery is much more common on this site than a discectomy. In general I'm happy with the results...my toes and one side of my foot is still numb, but the doctor did say that I would probably have that for a long time and maybe forever. That I can live with...the leg pain, not so much!

• I am glad you posted this...

After my surgery the staff and the surgeon were very understanding of my need to ask questions as they came up, and they did come up. It was not uncommon for me to offered an appointment to come in to the surgeons office to discuss my questions.

It is good to hear that after 4 days, you are generally happy with the results...

I hope this is of some help to you,
  • Hey there,

If you are worried, give a call. They will likely tell you to ice, limit sitting, and remember to log-roll when you get up from lying down.

Like Jackie said, after my (1st) surgery I had concerns too about 5 days later and called. They told me do not apologize and to ice periodically. They also told me if it got worse, they would see me sooner than the 2 week check up.

Also, I would keep a journal for yourself. Keeping a timeline proved to be very helpful to me.

Sounds like you are getting some relief which is great.

Remember sitting puts additional load on your lower back. Best to limit that always.

I hope my reply helps.