Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 weeks post-surgery update

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey all, just wanted to post an update about me 8 weeks post thoracotomy/vertebrectomy/360 fusion. I know it was hard for me to find information on this surgery before I had it, so want to share my story for others.

I think I'm doing fairly well. I'm still pretty limited in terms of activities- I just fatigue really quickly and get sore.

The good (great?) news is that my pain rarely goes above a 5 and is easily relieved by resting. Hooray! I also don't think any of it is nerve pain- it's just muscle strain/fatigue and regular old soreness.

My main struggles right now are in trying to regain strength on the left side- that was the side that had neuro deficits before surgery, and I am still struggling with weakness. Much of my physical therapy is focused on trying to balance things left to right, and most of my pain is due to the right side taking on more than its fair share of work. My PT says that due to the curvature that still remains, it might never be 100%.

Bending and sitting remain a challenge, but twisting and flexing are not, so at least there is a LOT more PT activity that I can do!

I have to say that I am so hopeful! I really believe I am going to get back to a functional state. I am starting to consider plans for the future that I would not have thought possible before the surgery- traveling, career considerations, and so on. And not living with constant moderate-severe pain is really nice, even if I am still kind of a gimp :)

Hope all of the other December surgery people are doing well too!