Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to the forum - seeking advice

ksiddiqui555kksiddiqui555 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone,

I've got sciatic pain in my left leg due to a disc protrusion in the L5-S1 disc and an annular tear in the L4-L5 disc.

Back in mid-December, I was bending down to pick something up and felt a tinge in my lower back, left side. The pain started after that. I've had this pain before every once in a while during the last 8 years, and usually it heals on its own within 4-5 days. Unfortunately, after nursing it for about two weeks, I went to see the ortho doctor here in Bahrain.

[I will digress a bit and let you know that we moved to Bahrain from the US two years ago, and this is the first time I've been this close to the medical system here]

Anyway, the ortho doctor ran the X-rays and MRI. Found that I have an annular tear in the L4-L5 disc and a disc protrusion in the L5-S1. Its the L5-S1 that looks bad because there is encroachment on the left nerve root pathway.

By Dec. 18th the lower back pain had become so intense I could not get out of bed without my wife supporting my head and legs and lifting me up. Could not walk because the pain was shooting down my left-side buttocks and leg. Finally, got hospitalized for two days. Got a nice cocktail of Feldene, Tramadon and Dextrose injections which really helped reduce the pain.

After the hospital discharge, I continued with Cataflam (20mg twice a day) and Lyrica (75 mg once a day). I also went through a 10-day course of physiotherapy.

By mid-January, the lower back pain had gone but I was starting to feel a little bit of discomfort in my left leg when I walked. That has now become a raging pain.

I don't feel any pain or discomfort when I'm sitting. But as soon as I stand up and start walking, the pain shoots down my left leg...I feel it behind my hamstring and entire calf muscle...it's like the calf muscle is sore after a very very very strenuous workout. And I feel the horrid pain in my foot as well. Lately, I've started to feel numbness and a tingling sensation in my smallest toe on the left foot when I walk. Standing up straight for more than 1 minute is a nightmare. Right now, the best feeling in the world for me is when I get to sit down after walking for 2 minutes.

The ortho doctor had told me earlier that I may get sciatic pain because of the disc protrusion. Based on my symptoms and what I've read on the forum here, its likely that this is sciatic pain that I'm going through.

The funny thing is that I don't have any lower back pain.

I went to see a different ortho doctor earlier this week. He has prescribed Voltaren (75 mg twice a day) and Lyrica (75 mg twice a day).

Have people gone through the same thing where they feel pain in their leg(s) while their lower back is relatively pain-free?

What course of treatments have you considered? The pain-meds I'm taking haven't shown any benefits...I'm still hobbling on one foot. Have people tried meds other than Voltaren and Lyrica?

Also, have you considered any other alternative forms of treatment? e.g. accupuncture, homeopathic medicine, etc.?

Really would be helpful to get your support and advice.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I'm really new to this site, also. My pain is so out of control... so I really don't have advice for anyone since I'm such a mess.
    However, there is info on this site that is encouraging, and also, helpful.
    Reading from others and their situations has been encouraging. This site has provided connection to others who understand the daily life of pain and the consequences that follow.
    I hope you are able to find your answers and that checking out this site helps you as you navigate through your painful situation.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Jeauxbert or haglandc or Administrators tamtam, dave or DiLauro
    In addition, you can always contact any one of the members of the Authority team Neck of Steel or Cath111

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    The first question I will ask is what have your doctors told you that your action plan(s) should be?
    That is really the key, based on their reviews of your diagnostic tests, they are in the best position to let you know what can and should be done.

Many times spinal patients with sciatica will not experience lower back pain. Personally, I went almost 18 months with the pain in the hip going down the leg. Many of the initial doctors were working me up for a hip problem. It wasn't until a friend of mine who was a PA suggested they do a myleogram.
    That was back in 1978, so, the myelogram was the choice of diagnostic tools. Thats when we found out about the L4/L5 problem and the disc protruding on a nerve root.

For details about Sciatica, please read these articles prepared by Spine-Health. Sciatica

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.Please have a look around and make yourself at home. i use Lyrica for my sciatica pain and it works really well for me.. i do use other pain medications with it as well, although they are not so much for the sciatica! I am on 300mg a day of Lyrica though.. please be patient with this medication as your body needs time to adjust to it.. good luck and i hope you find pain relief soon! Jenny :)
  • thanks for the support, guys. The ortho doctor that I spoke to said that I should stay on the Lyrica and Voltaren for 3 weeks to see if there is a reduction in the pain. If it doesn't look like the pain has subsided then he recommends conducting another MRI and then proceeding with the epidural injection(s).

I'm not too keen on going down the path of having a needle stuck into my spine. Not sure if people have had success with that. I will post on the Injections Forum to get more information.

If the epidural injections don't do the trick, then he says ultimate option is surgery...something I'm really not looking forward to.