Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 weeks post acdf

jailajjaila Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi there. So I am 5 weeks out from acdf c4-7. Had my follow up with doc on Tuesday and he said considering I had 3 level fusion that I am doing good. Still dealing with these dam muscle spasms. He gave me orders to start PT...but not cleared to return to work for another 4 weeks. (work not happy, but thats another story) But here is the question I have as I forgot to ask the doc. I still have a feeling like a lump in my throat and occasionally & randomly difficulty swallowing. I am however able drink water and get things down if they do get stuck. (this doesn't happen too often). Wondering for those of you who have had multiple level acdf if you had the lump in the throat feeling and when it went away? I would have thought it would have subsided by now.
Oh and I have cages and screws...no plates...and xrays prior to doc visit showed all looked good and where it should be.
Thanks for any insight!

• Good to hear all looked good on your Xray - I had the swallow, lump, throat thing for a few weeks pretty regularly and now only comes around every once in a while.. I have plates so not sure if that makes a difference.. I don't remember how long after surgery it lasted but for me it did really subside and not a daily thing. I understand about work and responded to your PM .. I told work 6 weeks and will be out 14 weeks when I finally return in March .. Feel guilty but have to put me 1st! I had the muscle spasms horribly and could not sleep - Robaxim is what they gave me - did nothing so they finally gave me Valium - only took it at night - knocked me out and after getting a few good night sleeps in me the spasms subsided - not sure if that would help you. I stopped the valium a week ago and still no spasms! Good luck with PT - be prepared to be sore .. I have been doing PT 3x per week now for 5 weeks and still exhausting and in pain (all muscle pain) on my PT days but I am glad I go - feels like it is getting all working again - neck, shoulders and arms ... hope you find the same for you! Good luck and keep us posted - hope your lump/swallow issue starts to subside for you!