Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Alif PLIF surgery approaching...help?

Bluesaab22BBluesaab22 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello .. I'm new to this forum but have been trolling thru the posts and am thankful for the wealth of knowledge shared on this site.

Im 42 yo female whose experienced chronic back pain for about 6 years. Degenerative disk disease, spondolethesis etc.... Scheduled for ALIF & PLIF surgery on March 4th, 2011. Scared to death of surgery but more bothered by the idea of living in pain for the rest of my life.

I'm particularly interested in post- op stuff. I've never had surgery of any kind and feel like I'm not prepared for what's in store for me.

Thanks for welcoming me.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you here with us. talking to others who have been through surgery and learning more about your procedure will help you feel more prepared, less scared!! be sure and check out the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more input on your future surgery.. i wish you all the best! not only for a successful surgery, but for a great recovery and a life without pain! Jenny :)
  • with your upcoming surgery. You didn't say how many or which levels you are having fused. I recently had a single level fusion and I won't kid you that the recovery is tough.

I am just past 8 weeks post op and finally starting to feel pretty good most of the time but with alot of limitations yet.

Make sure you check out the list of "must haves" for after surgery - being able to have those items on hand and ready to go was really a big help!

Also by typing in your keywords in the search box, you will find great information on your particular surgery.

• Read as much as you can about your surgery. Look up the medical terminology if you need to. After that, make sure you tell your family and friends you will need their help getting through recovery.

I lived with chronic pain for 5 years, and 5 months post posterior lumbar fusion. L5S1 fusion w/ 4 pedical screws. I'm much better now, but still limitted and in some pain, but I have hope for full recovery.

Keep in mind it may take up to a full year to recover.

Relax and enjoy the simple things around you before your surgery. Have nice meals, treat yourself to a movie, dinner etc..etc.. If you've already scheduled surgery, the most important thing now is a great attitude.

The recovery is slow, and I won't kid you, very painful.
    But the pain level will deminish daily. Keep in mind that your already in pain, and your surgery will give you hope for a better life.

You will feel better daily, and you will note dramatic improvements as time goes by.

Never lose sight of your ultimate goal, to live better, and become a better you. Be patient, and like the person above mentioned, we're here for you.

I'm rooting for you!!
    God Bless.

• I had my ALIF and PLIF on December 29, 2010, on my L5, S1. After multiple bilateral cortisone shots, facet injections as well as a discogram to pinpoint where the surgery would be performed as I have 4 herniated discts in my low back and a couple in my upper back from a car accident which was November 20, 2008. After dealing with the pain for 2 years, and going from being an extremely active person, in the gym 5 days a week and playing sports, coaching lacrosse, being outdoors etc... my life is still at a standstill. I understand restrictions to my life temporarily after surgery but being 5 months post surgery I didn't expect to still be in the amount of pain that I am. I feel the same, if not worse w/ the instabilities from surgery....any ideas, advice, words of encouragement?