Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is it me?

StacyAnnSStacyAnn Posts: 50
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
OK, had my 6 month appointment. The PA said the xray looked good. I don't know if it was the way she was talking to me or what, but I got the feeling like she thought I was a complainer or something. She spent a lot of time talking about how I should not need as much pain med and that I need to come off of the Norco. She gave me Neurontin, Motrin 800 and a "not quite enough" script for Norco. "Not quite enough"- she explained she was giving me enough Norco 5mg to only take 2 a day for 50 days and that they would see me in 2 months/60 days. So I am to start PT next week with potentially not enough pain med until my next visit? I have the urge to call the nurse or the surgeon himself, but I dont want to be a troublemaker either.

Anybody ever run into something like this? I really dont know what to do but it has really gotten me down, like I am some free loader or addict who isnt really in pain.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Interesting that she gave you Motrin. Some doctors hold off on NSAIDS for 12 mo. I was not allowed any NSAIDS for 9 months and then only sparingly after that.

Do you have a Pain Mgmt doc? At 3 weeks post op my PM doc took over prescribing medications.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • N0, I have never seen or even had anyone recommend seeing a Pain Management doctor. My primary care has always managed my pain until I started with this surgeon in Sept 2009. In fact, it was my primary care who realized I was exhibiting signs of serotonin syndrome after this same PA prescribed Tramadol at my 3 month appt when she first recommended I not take as much Norco. (I also take Cymbalta for long standing depression) But the surgeon has this form you sign at the beginning of treatment that you agree to take only pain meds prescribed by him. So I have thusfar left him to managing the pain.

I too am concerned at taking 800mg of Motrin regularly when there is still bone growing.

I think I am going to call in the morning. This is keeping me awake tonight and I shouldn't have to be worrying about this.

• I am just 8 weeks out from 2 level fusion. My second one. Different levels. Anyway, my first surgeon said no to NSAIDS while I was fusing. My current surgeon said I can take up to 800 mg a day for pain in my SI joint. He said it wont affect fusing. He is very current on things, is doing the XLIF and I am doing great and fusing at 6 weeks. So ask, but dont worry. I take advil, as long as he said it was ok, and my surgeon is very careful with me cause of all the problems I have had. I cant even do land based PT for at least 3-4 more months. Good Luck