Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal cord stimulator

crashhccrashh Posts: 40
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Well I went to see the phsyc and had my eval. I just got a call and they said I m not a canidate for the scs. I m supposed to got see him again. I dint understand what I could have said or done for them to deny me. Please give me some feedback as to what will happen next. Has anyone been denied scs for the sane reason and if so did the ever get the scs . What do I do know

• There has been one other person I know of here that was initially denied based on a psych eval. Unfortunately she is no longer with us. I do recall that she felt that the results put into her medical records and the actual results of the eval, were conflicting. She fought this and was able to get approval to have the eval done again and passed without any problem. If I remember correctly, it took help from her PM doc to convince the insurance company to approve the second eval.

Have you contacted your PM doc to discuss this with him yet?

Wish I could be of more help.

• How can a Physc understand your pain unless they are the same...DO you have the avenue to appeal the decision?? I cant believe that it was denied to you..
    If I can do anything to help or if you just want to vent your anger, feel free to PM me and let loose.

Thinking of you at this terrible time.x
  • I am so sorry you were denied.

As I understand, what they are looking for is signs of depression. Now I could be mistaken about this but this is what I was told when I was evaluated. The insurance believes if a person is depressed, that should be treated first.

Chronic pain and depression seem to go hand and hand. How can one NOT be depressed when they are in constant pain? It is believed that depression makes chronic pain worse.

This idea does not make sence to me. If your pain is eased wouldn't the depression ease up too?? But I am not an insurance company so who knows how they think. The insurance companies decide how our medical problems can or can not be treated.

I believe I would do as "C" siggested and talk to your PM and see what he/she can do, if anything. Perhaps he/she can explain to you why you were denied.

I am sure if you were not depressed before, this rotten news will make you depressed.

Do not give up hope!! All of us had to jump through hoops before we reached the point where our pain was under control.

Best of luck to you.
    Patsy W

• I highly recommend taking a couple of steps back and making sure you realize what you are actually being told, versus what you might feel like you're being told.

They don't do the psych evals just to make us all jump through one more hoop. They do them because there have been 20+ years of studies on patient selection that have shown the psychological evaluation accurately predicts the long-term outcomes in about 80% of the SCS cases. Often, the psychological evaluation has higher predictive value for success than the medical evaluations.

Throughout the course of the psych eval, they look at much more than just depression. Depression is among the factors that receive the least attention. They look at more than 30 specific psychological indicators, including the source of your pain, your reported pain levels over time, the level of pain you view as livable, fixation on health issues, formal education level, amount of lost work time as a result of the pain/injury, the nature of the patient/doctor relationship, litigation surrounding the initial injury/illness, the level and type of social support, coping skills and style, steps the patient has taken to improve their condition, and so on. You may not realize so many things were being evaluated, but they were.

Most of the indicators they look at during the psych eval are not things you can't change easily, if at all. They are life-long habits and core personality traits. They are what's left of you at the end of the day, when it's just you and God, alone in a room.

The psych eval may highlight some areas where you can make positive changes in your life, and if those changes will improve your overall situation, then you should definitely consider doing so. But, if your sole interest and purpose behind making changes is to tip the psych eval in your favor and allow you to move forward with the SCS, the only thing you'll be doing is setting yourself up for failure.

I really think tipping the psych eval is a prime example of what was being discussed on the "concerned" thread on this board. It's a perfect example of people becoming too committed to a particular option, then twisting and forcing the issue, even when valid screening methods say it's not an appropriate treatment.

Instead of looking at the psych eval for the value it offers and considering what it's actually saying, the knee jerk reaction is to cry foul or say "oh, what do those shrinks know?! Make your PM doctor find a way around it!" or to look at ways to go over, under, or around the result, without serious consideration to what the result actually means. :S