Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sgodley12ssgodley12 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in New Member Introductions
I've had back pain as long as I can remember however it didn't get real bad til Fall of 09. In January of 2010 I went to a chiropractor. That didn't help so went to a doctor in August of 2010 who sent me for an MRI.

Herniated disks at L3-L4, L4-L5 and L5-S1. Got all the shots and PT as well until I lost the use of my right leg just prior to Christmas. I can walk now short distances.

Pain level hard to say because mostly its just I cannot walk very far or stand very long. Cant grocery shop anymore. Cant be normal.

Anyway thats the story! Surgery scheduled for March.

• i am so glad you introduced yourself. I have found a lot of support here, and comfort just knowing there are a bunch of us going through these spine issues. I am guessing you will have some type of fusion, what kind will it be?
  • Welcome and sorry to hear that you have such pain.
    I didn't read everything on other posts (which seems like you may have made) but I blew out my disc (herniated) at L5/S1 and have severe bulge and DDD at L4/5.

The issue at L5/S1 apparently was probably building over time and a silly stretch upon waking had me in severe pain. After visiting the ER, the pain I felt went to numbness accompanied by a more bearable pain. I also lost a lot of strength in my leg. Like you could only walk short distances and it was all with a limp b/c I had lost reflexes.

Just to give you some encouragement, I had 2 microdiscectomies (trying to avoid a fusion) and I'm a year out from teh 2nd surgery and I no longer walk with a limp. I can walk a mile easily without getting tired and I can walk 2-3 miles without hurting (though I'm exhausted afterward). I still have numbness and some pain but I've gotten a lot of my life back.

I wish you even better success in your surgery this March!
  • Wanted to welcome you as well to spine-health. Everyone on here is very knowledgeable and caring, don't know what I would do without them all. Glad to see that you are going to get some help for your lower back. I too am awaiting surgery...hopefully soon. Wishing you all the best.
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Welcome to the site. The folks here all understand first hand what you are going through and are very helpful and supportive. There is a load of wonderful articles, videos and other information on this site, so take some time to explore. You can find a lot of great information.
    Not sleeping?? There is usually someone in the chatroom!!
    You will love it here!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. be sure and check out the "Back and Neck surgery forum" for more input on your upcoming surgery, you have alot of preparations to make!! i wish you the best of luck for a successful surgery and recovery and the chance at a pain free life!! be sure and stop by the forum during your recovery.. it can make your long days go by alot faster.. Jenny :)