Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Suggestions for tx of thoracic neuropathic pain

kweiserkkweiser Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Chronic Pain
I have tried pain meds, neurontin, tens, lidocaine patchs etc. Some relief from combination therapy but nothing really works. How have some of you managed this type of pain?

• Katherine,

I'm in a similar boat in that my Lyrica, Lidoderm, heat, ice etc., no help. What does help me a little is I got an abdominal brace made by Mueller and place it just under my breasts. I reduces movement, and too the burning from my clothes brushing against are much reduced. In my signature you can see my levels. I don't know which are bothering you, so not sure if my brace trick would work. I hope you find something that helps.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Brenda

Your medical bio reads like mine, I just left a lot of the detail out in my bio. b/c it already sounds like a book. Hats off to you for enduring all you have. My neuropathic pain is most severe on my torso, front and back from L2 up to C7. MD's are stumped but say probably due to cord compression and subsequent myelopathy. I too am the 'frustration' patient for my neurosurgeon. Thankfully, I have a fantastic PMR MD and he keeps me going.
    The brace sounds promising. Does it cause you to sweat underneath? How much movement restriction does it provide? I have tried braces before (about 5 yrs ago) and found them uncomfortable but I have an open mind.
    I have also had the same hand surgical release. It caused me to loss a significant amount of grip strength. Have you experienced that? What keeps you going despite all the pain and surgeries? I am always curious how others survive this and if there is anything new I can learn about life with chronic and unrelenting pain.
  • Katherine,

Nodding, I liken myself to my Neurologists "puzzle patient".. (G) Sorry to hear you're in a similar boat. I don't know why nerve pain medications work great for the majority of the body, only to NOT work for thoracic neuropathy. It's weird if you ask me!!

As for the brace, it has a soft covering, is fully adjustable - hell, you could go into the ladies room and 2 seconds later, adjusted to a new snugness. I live in South Florida, and sweat never seems to be a problem with it. I know if I try driving without it, I am cut down to between 15 and 30 minutes before I am in agony!!

As for what keeps me going. I crashed just shy of my 22nd birthday, and was allowed to live with acute pain until 2002 where it switched to chronic - from an accident that I shouldn't have walked away from, and some experts say lived through. I guess since I was given that gift, and now pay as I should have back then, its a positive if that makes sense. I'm also stubborn, and have a wonderful supportive husband. Was able to accomplish much of my career goals etc., before the spine decided it was in charge! Sure I get down at times, and I allow that to a point - lets the stress out, but otherwise try and stay positive in that this could have started a whhhooooollllleee lot longer ago and didn't. I guess I'm and odd ball. (G)

I hope you find relief from this brace as I have. Fingers crossed woman!! Oops, almost forgot. I didn't feel much restriction from the brace at all. Most of my neuropathic pain in the thoracic is from anything touching/brushing it, so the brace reduces that. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
This discussion has been closed.