Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question about overdoing it and consequences

tracibennttracibenn Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Yesterday we went to the Home, Lawn, and Garden Expo ( I HAD to go....Reed Timmer from Storm Chasers was there!!!!). It was a lot of walking. Probably too much. I'm aware that I may have pushed myself too much. Since yesterday afternoon I have been very sore, stiff, and my right leg has started hurting like it did before surgery. Is it possible that I messed soemthing up that the fusion surgery fixed? What harm, other than the pain and discomfort, can be done by overdoing things? Maybe I shouldn't have gone 10 days post op, but like I said I wanted to see my man Reed Timmer!

• That sounds like a good excuse as any to get out and about! Are you in a brace? Were you wearing it? I can't speak to whether the walking was bad for you. After all, walking is generally recommended for us fusion patients. I want to say this though, from the viewpoint of one who's 14 months post fusion: next time my doctor tells me to either do something or don't do it..I'm going to listen. I mostly listened to my doc, but I did push it at times, I'm sure. Now I find out that my fusion failed and I'm looking at having the surgery done again...no fun. I don't know if my pushing things hurt me, but I dang sure ain't taking that chance again.

Don't take a chance..make sure what you're doing, chasing storms or chasing storm chasers, it is doctor approved.

• i want to go see this guy

i need to look after my spine as i just had major surgery to fix it

traci, i think you no that you prob did too much too soon, i have no idea if you did any harm, prob not, hope so for your sake

Take it easy and heal
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    During recovery from lumbar fusion every time I pushed myself it resulted in 1-3 days of pain, sleeplessness, odd symptoms, etc. Your body is still healing and has some inflammation common with healing. The walking you did may have added to the inflammation. I did have the support of my LSO brace which was a rigid turtle shell but oh so helpful.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos