Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery scheduled.

ohmybackoohmyback Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
For the 24th of February and I feel like there are things I should be doing to prepare but I don't really know what. I need a 2 level fusion and I am only 29.

I am so torn. I have days when my pain is minimal and then days like today that were just terrible. Yesterday I did what you could consider overdoing it and I was fine. Today I did nothing and could barely walk. I just don't understand it. When I go a few days with less pain, I think it's not so bad, maybe I can tolerate it, then I have a day like today and quickly get reminded why I need surgery. Is anyone else who is having or had surgery like this? It just seems like if I had these bad disks, I would be in constant pain.

Anyways, any insights or helpful hints on preparation would be appreciated.

• I felt the same way as you before my 360 fusion (l5-S1) two weeks ago, and i'm only 33. Some days I felt totally normal, and then all of a sudden I was reminded why I was having surgery. I wont tell you it was all cookies and cake. It was tough, and you'll hear lots of struggles on here, but just remember that the hardstuff will be worth it in the end. I think for me the hardest part was getting ready for surgery, I was afraid the household would collapse without me. It survived, thankfully! There is a sticky on here that tells you some helpful things you'll need to have handy after surgery. I must say that the silky PJs are a MUST have!! They were a lifesaver the first few days. Good luck, look around, and ask lots of questions. Everyone has helped me tremendously!
  • I know there are more threads in here somewhere, but you can start here. Hopefully others will help with other posts/threads that I have seen, but can't find right now.

• I just had an ACDF C5-C6 surgery on Feb. 11 and would do it again if I had to. The week leading up to the surgery, I questioned myself everyday if surgery was the right thing to do. Similar to your pain, I would have good days and bad days and I wondered if I could manage to live like that. The sporadic pattern of pain really interferes with the quality of life.

You are young and it will work for you when you are in the phase of recovery. One word of advice, I made sure that my body was fit before surgery: taking vitamins, supplements, eating well and exercising. All these factors will enhance your recovery. I'm 42 years young and I consider myself very health and fit, so I think this is making a difference for me even in the early stages of healing. Also, continue to take your vitamins, supplements, etc. after surgery so healing is accelerated. PM me if you are interested in the title of the book about healing.

Good luck and let me know if I can answer any other questions! ;)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches