Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 Days Post-Op and feeling great!

Lili_InuLLili_Inu Posts: 633
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
First of all, :X Happy Valentine's Day to all! I'm reporting in to say that my ACDF surgery of C5-C6 went extremely well! I'm off narcotics and only using Tylenol and muscle relaxants. Most of the pain has gone with residual pain in shoulders and left arm only. My dizziness and headaches are also gone.

My only real complaint is my throat. I have difficulties swallowing sometimes and I have the sensation of a lump in my throat. Last night I was taking my stool softener and it got stuck in my throat and started to burn. Eventually, I was able to get it down.

I have no pain where the incision is, which is a surprise to me. There's definitely swelling and itchiness because it's starting to heal.

Also, I wanted to thank the people from this forum. It is from your support that put me at ease and made the surgery go so smoothly! I hope to stay on to help others in need for as long as I can! >:D<
2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches

• Lili, I am so pleased for you, that is wonderful news!

How great that your dizziness, headaches and most of your pain has gone.

I think a sore throat is very normal, and people seem to suffer for a few weeks and then things settle down.

The purpose of stool softeners is to unblock, not to get stuck!! :))( Can you break it into 2 or more pieces?

Amazing that you have no incision pain. Your story is going to help those waiting for ACDF so much. You are carrying the 'reassurance baton' now to help others who are feeling very nervous about their impending surgery.

Keep up the good healing and recovery.

• I am glad to you have gone well your operation because it already you use prescription medicines to control pain. Excellent news.

• Great news....I hope that things continue on the up and up like this! It's so nice to hear that you are doing so well!
  • Here are some questions for those of you who had a single level cervical fusion. Did you have to wear a collar? How soon after surgery did you start taking walks?

I'm asking because my surgeon said that I did not need a collar and that I can pretty much do everything except driving and bending my head in one position for too long. Anyone have a similar situation?

I am doing well overall, but the throat is really a killer! I really hope the sensation in my throat is not permanent. :SS
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches