Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Greetings, trying to stay sane here

BrittanyGBBrittanyG Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello all. I am a 28 year old who suffers from chronic pain. This is my first time joining any type of support community for it, as I usually try to ignore it. I finally caved because I just can't do it anymore. I need the motivation to go to the doctor and get this managed.

By the way, I'm really bad about posting disjointedly. I realize this and am sorry for any weirdness. I ramble too.

Anyway, hi!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-health, you will find plenty of support and information on the site.
    What is your diagnosis?

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Spondylolithesis, arthritis in hips.

• You have joined a great place to get support from others who understand, and also a wealth of information about spine problems and various treatments.

Have you tried any conservative treatments yet, and are you on medication for pain?

I also had spondylolisthesis and was sure there was no way that I was going to have fusion surgery to deal with the pain. I told them to just tell me what I had to do, and I would do it, to deal with my problems.

After 2 years of seeing the chiropractor, and doing daily physiotherapy exercises and walking, drinking loads of water, healthy diet, losing over 20 pounds and anything else I could think of, I was back at the doctor. I still tried to avoid even seeing the surgeon (seeing him meant I was considering surgery, and I was not!!) Well, eventually I caved in and went to 'just talk' to him. He told me that I had severe stenosis on my cord now and if I continued to try to avoid surgery, I would end up in a wheelchair due to weak legs. Some people do manage to live with spondylolisthesis without resorting to surgery, but it was actually not as bad as I feared and I am very much better now. I would definately do it again, if necessary (I hope it won't be!!) I didn't have my surgery, or even get diagnosed until I was in my 50s.

I definately suggest that you at least go and talk to your doctor about how you are suffering. Also read up about your conditions so that when talking to the doctors, you understand what they are saying. A list of questions you want to ask is also a good idea.

See I can ramble on too! It must go with the condition! :))(

PS I would say that if you are thinking of having a family, I would seriously think about having surgery first as the weight of the bump really can pull on the slipped vertebra, causing very strong symptoms and pain. My doctor was amazed that I had managed to carry 3 pregnancies without being diagnosed. I just thought that all pregnant women suffered with the back pain and sciatica that I had.

• Hi there. I was seeing an ortho surgeon, who basically put me on pain meds. Being an addict, it got really out of control, and I had to stop. I haven't taken anything for a bit over 2 years now. I'm actually quite afraid of seeing a new doctor (moved). I'm afraid that they will try to give me meds, and with the way I hurt, I'd have a hard time saying no. I wouldn't mind surgery, if it would mean I could actually do things again.

I already have a family, but thanks for that info.
  • Does PT, warm baths, massages or anything non drug wise help you?

I hope you find the support at this site as helpful in your life as I have found it to be in mine :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Just wanted to say welcome. I am 28 and recently diagnosed with spondy. I really hope you find something that helps. Keep me posted as I also want to avoid surgery.
  • to the best site for spine issues and support..
    hey brittany,
    keep doctor searching to find one that doesn't wip out the script pad when you first speak to them...those docs i say kindly thanks and walk out....
    it means they just trying to get rid of you...
    altho i did take pain meds..it took awhile for my neruo doc to even suggest any...
    theres alot of people here do alot of different things for pain..
    read and read and keep posting i'm sure you will get alot of great ideas...
    I don't have what you do but in cronic pain always...and now i have alot of supportive ppl on here that i vent away alot...and ramble alot as you can see..
    and alot of us that don't sleep much...
    come and check out chat and me alot of fun ppl
    take care
    keep fight the fight
    and keep searching for the right doctor for you..
    mary from chicago
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Brittany,
    You will feel well at home here as we all have our moments, pain and life makes us that way. In accepting what is happed is the first stage of managing it more effectively, here we are a community that attempts to understand and show support and compassion to everyone whatever stage they are at in this eventful journey.

Welcome and good luck.

• Thanks so much for all the warm welcomes. See you all around!