Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

flare up or re herniated, driving me nutz

kaz modankkaz modan Posts: 5
hi all, any opinions would be appreciated. 10 days ago i got out of my chair and had a sharp pain in my low back. i rested for a while and felt better that day. but now i have intermittent sciatica pain, sometimes my calfs hurt or legs. pain is 1 to about 5. sometimes during the day i have no pain. i had micro l4-l5 almost 1 year ago(11 months).. my pa said since i dont have severe pain they would do nothing if i came in. she said it is probably a flare up or the cold weather. i went on a treadmill for 45 minutes without any problems. i am just scared i re herniated my disc cause this annoying pain is here daily. sitting bothers me now where it didnt for months.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    It is very easy to have a flare up. It could be something very minor (picking up a pencil) to something not so minor (moving heavy objects)

I can not even begin to count the flare ups I have had in the past 30 years. I've sort have figured out when there is something to be concerned about and when not to be.

One rule of thumb you can use (but it is just an informal, non-medical opinion) is that IF the flare up lasts more than a week, then its time to contact your doctor.

These flare ups can really feel like the same pain you had prior to surgery. During any flare up, make sure you take all the necessary precautions and that you follow all the restrictions and instructions you were given after you surgery.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • well, after 5 weeks i am back to normal. i do not know if this was a flare up or an injury but it took a long 5 weeks. my biggest gripe was my pa said if i can walk and am not falling down there is nothing my doc would do but refer me to a physical therapist. i ended up doing a strong work out every day. my recovery was measured in week by week, not day by day. the reason i am posting is to let others know what i have/had and what happened to me. i am sure this happened to others and will happen to some. bottom line is, try not to give up, know your limits and keep on moving. i believe if i didnt exercise i would not have recovered as quickly. i am up to 5 miles a day on the tredmill, something i never did b4 as well as other exercises.
    i assume this is something i will have to deal with the rest of my life, but having the right mind set is key.