Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

i think i got it.... ssdi

spars12sspars12 Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Health Insurance Issues
hey a long time with ssdi.... i think i won my case i got some pappers telleing me that i would recive a lump sum ( i did get that) and i got a medicare card... and a letter saying every 4th wensday of the month i recive a check ...

how do i know for sure?? i am scard to death to call and jinks it lol....

• I would say you got it...so happy for ya
    may I ask how long you waited and how many times you were denied..
    sure makes things easier with one less worry....
    i'm a year waiting and nothing....i call i get put off...go online says pending...
    i've never gotten even denied yet..
    so glad
    go buy yourself something fun first off..
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • thankyou it's been a long time over 4 years .. got flat shot down the frist hearing ... more doctor notes and things reapplyed this judge over turned the frist judge and here we are ... it's been a struggle working off and on to keep benafits 2 or 3 months a year ... my company has been so good to me i just am still like in shock it has happned ...

lol been sooooo long with very short income buying something nice is still like scary.... hang in there and have a good lawyer..... and collecte doctors that listen to you....
  • Hi and Congrats.

I think it's fair to say you got it!!
    Enjoy and relax now.
    4 years is a awful long time to wait,so you probably got some play money now.

Mary, wanna wish you good luck, and i too hope you soon get approved. I dont understand how it can still say pending after 1 year. But no news is better then bad news, so hang in there.
  • CONGRATS!! I would tend to say that you have been approved. I haven't even got that much info yet, all I've received so far is the letter from the judge stating that he had given me a "fully favorable decision". So I'm still waiting for anymore info such as the details as to how much back pay, how much I will receive a month and so forth. I did go onto the SSD website and looked at the chart that shows, according to your birthday, as to when I would receive my monthly payment. According to the chart, due to my birthday being on the 27 of the month, I will receive my monthly check on the 4th Wednesday of each month.
    I am actually very fortunate that it took me not quite a year and a half to go thru my process and to get to this point. I filed in Dec. of 2009, and of course had the two typical denials, and then my hearing with the ALJ was back at the beginning of May, and it was only a couple of weeks that I got my letter from the judge with his decision. I know most people that I spoke with told me it would take at least a couple of years, and I didn't do anything different then anyone else I don't reckon. I was just very fortunate and blessed to have it happen so soon.
  • getting ready to go drop off my pension pappers this moring ... it's over ... it's done .... what a long drawn out ride this has been ... no more getting to the point were i just started feeling ok then going to work for 2 months and out for 6 or 7 months .... then repeating the cycle.....

i don't even know were to begin lol the frist time in over 10 years i can plan how to live with a real dependable income .....

good luck to every one struggling .... don't give up....
  • I also just got accepted for SSD...filed a month and a half ago and got a large deposit last week. I've had 30 surgeries in all, got 20 percent disab in spine back in 95 and a settlement from worker's comp. I spoke to a lawyer, who said he didn't think it would be a problem, so I went to the SS office, with my online paperwork filed. Took me six hours to fiil it out, but with all the surgeries, 3 hospitals and 7 doctors...I got approved...never even had a hearing... You have to have all paperwork, dates of surgeries, etc. as it seems the more complete it is, the better things work out...
    Good luck! Hang in there...
  • to see some good outcome with SSD I applied on Sept26 2010 and I work about 30 days out of 5 months off and on just to keep my ins. But I was denied and reapplied on 1/21/11 with a lawyer and not worked any since. It will be 5 months in a few weeks and I hope to hear something soon. The SS examiner called me a few weeks ago and said as soon as they receive reports from my 5/11/11 surgery they will make a decision. I know it is no where the pay I made at work but even the SS payment would help. I know some are getting SSD and or SSI and still working under the table but some like me can't even do any work. I have not been able to mow my own lawn since Aug 2010. Just Blessed my wife works and to have my home and one of my cars paid off. The other truck we owe around $3,000 so it is not bad. I know others have it rough and lose their home and cars. Well I drawn out my work pension and its gone now. The savings is below $1,000. At the point to selling some stuff we no longer need. Even doing that is hard on my back so that I will take it slow and easy. SSD is great for those who get it but the wait and worry really takes it's toll on a person.
  • Congrats on the SSD income!
    I think it is safe to say you got it. All I recieved was a letter when mine was approved.
    I applied for SSD benefits in September o2010 and recieved a letter in Nov 2010 saying I would recieve my benefits begining in Dec. with the first check coming the second week in Jan.
    I guess I was either lucky to get it approved so fast or I am unlucky to be in such bad shape as to have it approved that quickly.
    I arranged for the payments to be direct deposit into my account and so far it is always ontime.
  • Got a letter from SS saying I didn't get approved. So I guess my lawyer will appeal it. I'll call them on Mon to make sure whats going on. It took 5 months to the day for the decision. I know I have not worked not even mowed my grass it's been a struggle just to go to the Dr office every few weeks. I know so many people getting SSD and or SSI and they work under the table doing all types of job's, with me just getting up and doing anything for even a few hours would be rough. This has got to be one of the most abused programs they are.

I could understand faking it, but for some their is no way to even do some of the everyday task. My last Dr visit limits me to nothing more than everyday living which means do nothing. I know it takes time I sold my truck, used all of my pension from work and re-budgeted our monthly bills. I did have over 120 sick and vacation day from work that I used up in April. My wife works but about 90% of her salary goes to bills not including food and gasoline cost, so in other words broke most of the time with no extra to spend.

The SS people must think we want to lay around and do nothing all day 24/7 and that's not the case most of us would trade our ill health to be healthy and work even a min wage job. Life goes on but for some it's rough, but we will manage.
  • I am so sorry to hear what you are going thru. My prayers are with you as you go thru this very difficult time.
    I hope that the lawyer will be successful and soon.
    I really do not understand how the process works, some folks seem to get the approval much easier than others. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason when the determinations are made.
    I wish you the very best, take care.
  • and thank's. I called my lawyer and they want me to come to the office so I can file an appeal. It's about a 75 mile round trip so I will go tomorrow. She said that is normal to do this. I just hope it doesn't take another 5 months.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I guess I'm lucky my lawyer isn't in state. We do everything via phone, fax, email and mail.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • How long ago did you apply for SSDI benefits? I waited about 1.5 years and was denied twice prior to hiring a specialized social security lawyer. My friend told me about www.socialsecurity-disability.org and I was quickly paired up with a disability advocate in my area. I was awarded benefits 4 months later!
  • Read over your information from Social Security and make sure you understand it. I was approved earlier this year and I remember there were some important timeframes for doing some things around Medicare and Medicare Part D? If you have questions you could call them or stop by the local Social Security office.

Welcome to the officially retired.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I have one of the best SS laywers within 200 miles. All this waiting is really stressful. I see younger people riding ATV's and mowing grass and they get SSI or SSD why they get it when the ones like us go on and on waiting. SS act's like it comes out of their personal pockets. We did pay into SS ever since we worked and I have worked a long time I'm 46 now. On 8/29 it will be one month since my 1st appeal. I originally signed up on 2/21/10 and was turned down. SS is not a good living cause I made in one check what my one month's SS would be. I have not mowed my lawn since 8/10/10 last year and I have a riding mower for the most of it. Will I ever be able to mow again I doubt it. So that should tell them of my condition.