Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New symptoms?possible neck problems?

ouch2oouch2 Posts: 1,270
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone, I am currently waiting to have a lumbar fusion
done. The pain and various other symptoms have been progressing with my lumbar issues.
I have been noticing other problems and am now thinking they may have something to do with my neck, but am not sure.
I am on ms contin and percocett for my lumbar issues, however I find that whenever I am dressing for the day when I raise my arms up to put a sports bra or tank top over my head, I have a terrible pain in my upper arms (bicep, area ) Since I am already on meds, I think this is cause for concern. Today I noticed that my thumbs on both hands are completely numb. I know that I can't ask for medical advise, but do you think that I should ask my doctor about this, sooner rather than later (after lumbar surgery)?
Thanks and hope that everyone is having a relatively pain free day.
>:D< Karen
>:D< >:-D< : Karen
L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
adr L5-S1 Feb 2012

• Hi Karen,

I would definitely not wait and see if you can get an MRI of the neck. I'm no doctor, but the thumb and index finger numbness is a classic C5-C6 symptom.

Good luck and let us know what transpires! :)

2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Karen,

I agree it is important for your surgeon to know these things. Sometimes cervical issues can become of a greater urgency than lumbar. AS you know the spinal cord is there. Not that I am saying your issues warrant a emergency treatment or anything like that, just make sure surgeon is fully aware. Good luck with surgery and keep us posted what the surgeon says about your neck.
  • Thank you for reaffirming to me what I thought that I should do. I realize that these symptoms could have something to do with my neck, but I have been so wrapped up in trying to deal with my lumbar issues that I thought that maybe I was feeling this pain in my arms due to inactivity. I was a very active person before my lumbar problems began. Now I really don't do much of anything except nurse my pain. I thought that because of the inactivity, the muscles in my arm were giving me grief. Now that I notice some numbness, I will definately bring it to my surgeons attention when I go for my appointment March 7th.
    thanks again!
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012