Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

blazerblazer Posts: 785
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm 11 months post-op this week, and the past 2 day's i've been in so much pain i can barely function.
It's mostly been in my back but some pain is also going down both legs.
But the back pain is by far the worse, and it feels like the screws are pressing and trying to pop outa my back.
I've been taking the max. dosage of my med's but they cant do anything to bring the pain levels down.

So just wondering if the weather is having anything to do with it? And is this what we have to look forward to.

2 weeks ago we had that blizzard in Chicago, and now it's almost 60 degree's outside.
I've never felt like this before with the weather changes, so i'm assuming it's the effects of having back surgery.

Are we having fun yet?

• Big swings in the weather can cause pain. Our temperature yesterday morning was 72 (when the tornado hit) and by lunch time it was 42. I had to leave work, hit the meds and lay down due to my back hurting.

It never hurts to call your doctor to explain what your feeling so they can evaluate what's going on!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Howdy Jim!

Drops in pressure, drops in temps, humidity ... all seem to make our ouchies ouch more! Me personally, it is drops in pressure that gets me the worst. This time of year in Florida, we get fronts, otherwise short of a hurricane, it stays fairly stable. You are not alone. *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Keith; yup i thought about calling my PM, but i have an appt. on 3/23, so i'll just wait til then.
    I have a bad habit of waiting til it's an emergency before i go see the doctor, and live with the extra pain til my turn to keep my appt.

Brenda; yup's i'm sure the Barometer is jumping up and down there in Florida. Guess every state has it's own issues, take the good with the bad.

The bottom of my spine is extremely painful, and i'm wondering if that has anything to do with the l5/s1 not fusing yet.
    O well, ask doctor's when i see them this month.

• Jim,

Sorry to hear that you're having fusion issues. Mine cracked, so I hear ya! Please let us know what your doctor says. Support *HUGZ* to ya!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Blazer....I could have written your post myself! I too feel like my screws are going to pop out!! The weather here keeps going from high pressure to low pressure and back. I also do not like to call the doctor unless its an extreme emergency!
  • Sorry to hear. I don't have hardware but the cold really gets me especially this damp rainy weather! My lower back is killing me and I had to visit my Dr. across the city and the hour long subway ride hurt my back so much I would scream while walking in the rain. I also went to the Dentist to be fitted for a Bridge and he would put the chair up and down and my back is just awful. I'm sure the dampness must be awful for you all who have hardware. Let's hope Mr. Hedgehog is right about that early spring. His cousin also didn't see his shadow in Canada either. Take care and hope your back pain eases up. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I too have felt that changes in the weather (temperature and pressure) have affected m y neck and back. I had ACDF in Dec and the weather definitely makes me feel worse. I have been using an ice pack all morning. Yesterday when the weather started to change I didn't even go to the 1st St. Patrick's Day parade in my small town. I was so sorry to have missed it. But I knew that I couldn't walk to the site and stand for that amount of time. :( Next year. Hope everyone makes it through the bad weather without too much discomfort.
  • Traci; Yup that has to be someplace where the barometric pressure stays the same. Problem is we all would'nt fit there. And probably could'nt afford it.

Charry; 1 Hour on a subway would not be a good time.
    Not being able to move, and cramped in the same position. I cant even imagine that.
    I also went to dentist recently and i warned him about my back, so he tried to accomdate me by not folding that chair down flat. Did'nt even need any of their pain meds, as he told me i was already on enough.

frenchfri; i feel sorry for you on missing the St. Patty Parade. I always watch them on T.V. but never been to one.
    Hoping next year you can make your's depending on the weather conditions.
    I've had 2 cervical fusion's in the 90's, and my neck feels great, so hopefully you will have the same outcome that i had with those surgeries.

• As you said there is always next year or another town for the parade. It was the first time my town hosted the parade. I am hoping that in another 3 or 6 months I will be more myself. I just hate relaying on others to complete everyday tasks at home. I want to carry all of the laundry or groceries. I also want to be able to drive where ever I want, not just within 30 minutes of my house.
    Hope everyone has an easy work week. :)