Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 wks following ACCF at c4-5/c5-6

luckysharmslluckysharms Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Spinal Stenosis
hello friends....i just joined this forum and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar surgery after a similar diagnosis....this is all so frustrating and it is really nice to know that forums such as this exist for support and information!

ok, for a few years i had moderate intermittent diffuse pain coming from my upper back, neck and right arm...i am an otherwise healthy 37 year old male....i saw my gp as well as physiotherapists, chiropractors, naturopaths, accupuncturists, massage therpaists etc. and while i had some relief, i knew there had to be more going on....last august, my symptoms progressed to the point that i had extreme pain and numbness in my right arm and i demanded an appt with a neurologist and had an mri done at a private clinic (i live in canada and it wasn't worth the wait to get an mri through the public system!)....i was given a diagnosis of cervical myelopathy and radiculopathy at the c4-5 and c5-6 levels (due to cervical spondylitis) and referred to a neurosurgeon (NS) for a consult.....i ended up seeing three different NS's (including the mayo clinic in phoenix) and they all recommended an anterior cervical corpectomy and fusion (ACCF)....i finally decided on a local NS as i was told by a number of physicians that he was the best at this particular type of surgery....

i had the surgery two weeks ago today....immediately following the surgery, i felt absolutely no symptoms for the first time in 6 months- what an amazing feeling this was!!!...slowly the symptoms returned and now they are just bad as they were before the surgery:(....on the upside, i am taking almost no pain meds now and the pain on swallowing is almost gone too....
i am scheduled to see the NS for a follow-up in another 4 wks....
for now i am just resting (with a daily 10-20 minute walk) and watching a lot of movies and reading books and of course praying that my symptoms are just due to inflammation and they will improve over the next few weeks....

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of information on this site and the members of the forum are great and understand what you're going through.

I've had a 3-lvl ACDF (C4-7) in 2008 and two weeks out of surgery is really early in recovery. You've just had major spine surgery and hopefully understand how major this is and that the recovery is a slow one.

You say the upside is that you're not on pain meds any more - well, it could be that you really still need them (and muscle relaxants) as it's only been two weeks. With spine surgery, recovery tends to bring more pain before the true recovery feeling.

You also must make sure to follow doctor's orders and don't overdo. It can take you up to 12 weeks for recovery and remember, you're waiting for your bones to fuse - not an easy or painless task after surgery.

Hang in there and please try to be patient. Don't overdo, walk when you can and increase the distances, and don't put strain on your neck. It's amazing what puts strain on the neck - do some research here on the site.

If I can help you in any way, don't hesitate to PM me. I understand what you're going through and urge you to be more patient in the recovery of this major surgery you had only two weeks ago.

With all this said, call your doctor if you feel you're having difficulties. That's what they're there for. Take care of yourself,

• Cathie is absolutely right! It is still very early in your recovery process. Who took you off the pain meds.? Did you take yourself off of them or did a doctor advise that you go off? Many people feel great after there surgery but there is still allot of inflammation inside that is still brewing that people aren't feeling until there up and doing things. Listen to your body and if your in pain acknowledge it and do what you need to ,to calm it down again.