Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cauda Equina

Phoebe2010PPhoebe2010 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone

Some of you may remember me posting a while back about my upcoming revision discectomy. Unfortunately, due to deteriorating symptoms my op was brought forward to 2nd Feb. Following the op I have been left with both numb legs from foot up to thigh and whole of saddle area. My consultant took me back to theatre 2 days later as he was concerned about a haematoma around the cauda equina area. Following this second op, I still have no feeling in either legs along with bladder and bowel incontinence. I am home now but emotionally a wreck. Every morning I wake up hoping that there will be some glimmer of feeling.

Another concern I was wondering about was swollen feet, ankles and lower legs. It started a few days ago. I have a catheter fitted at present but I'm careful that I regularly open the tap to empty. I have an appointment with Urology next week and I hope they will give me guidelines about living with the catheter.

I've never had such swollen feet before and I wondered whether I should tell my gp about it.

I would also be interested to hear from anybody else that has suffered from CES and how the condition progressed.

• Hi Phoebe. What a bummer that you are having these problems. I'm wondering if you had any of this numbness prior to sugery, or if it all is new for you.

My post-op flare of cauda equina scared the bejeebers out of me. With enough time and patience though, I've learned to manage it. There are several different techniques you can learn.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Hi Phoebe,

Hopefully things will calm down sooner than latter and you will get some of that back. As far as the swelling in your legs you need to let your doctors know that is going on. So please call your doctor today and make them aware of the swelling. Let us know how you get along, and remember we are always here to talk to.
  • I had some major swelling in my legs and feet after my 360 l5-s1 fusion. It lasted a few days and was caused from lack of mobility. Once I got up and moving around it went down. Hope you start to feel better soon!
  • Thanks for that Tracibenn. I was hoping that once I can get more mobile, it should get better.

Still not much change in my symptoms, but perhaps I'm being too optimistic at this early stage.

My right leg was numb before surgery and my left leg was fine albeit very painful.

Off to urology on Tuesday to investigate waterworks. Any idea of what to expect? Will they try and take out the catheter to see what will happen?

Having a real low day today and feeling well and truly sorry for myself. Sick of the tv and watching the clock. :( Sorry for being miserable.