Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Again

RobinRRRobinR Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in New Member Introductions
I actually joined this board a couple of years ago, but apparently, I couldn't remember my login so I did the "forgotten password" thing and never got an email to reset my password. So I re-joined.

Anyway, I'm sure my story isn't unique at all. I just posted it in the "Recovering from Surgery" board under "12 weeks post-op lumbar fusion."

In a nutshell, I had bilateral laminectomy in August 2008. I had numerous complications after that requiring me to be back in the hospital a couple of times. First time was with a very large seroma that needed to be surgically drained and then about 10 weeks after the initial surgery, I was diagnosed with a deep spinal infection and had to have an I&D surgery for that in October 2008. I had a PICC line placed and was on IV antibiotics for about 4 mths the first time and then for another 3 mths a year later in February 2010 for recurrence of the infection. I got off the antibiotics this past May 2010 and neurosurgeon told me that I needed to be clean (infection free) for at least 6 mths before we could proceed with lumbar fusion. I had that done in November 2010. He didn't do the ALIF because of the risk of me getting re-infected, so instead he put the cadaver bone on the sides rather than between the vertebrae, which is how they usually do it. (interbody)

I'm now a little more than 12 weeks postop and doing ok, but still having a lot of pain and wondering if it's ever going to go away completely.

It's nice to see so many people with the same issues as me in one place. :)