Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Acupuncture Effects Seem Temporary...Any Thoughts?

mikey1975777mmikey1975777 Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Alternative Treatments
I started acupuncture about a month ago, because nothing else seems to alleviate my back pain (kind of a last resort option). I'm in between doctors as I've switched insurance carriers, so this is really the only thing I can do in the mean time.

Anyway, acupuncture does seem to help with the pain, however the effects seem to be short-lived. I've had 9 treatments and spent almost $1000. Sometimes the results are miraculous, but they only last a day or two. Is anyone here a long-time acupuncture patient? If so, has it helped you in the long term for pain reduction (i.e. if you miss a couple appointments or quit going altogether, does your pain relief last?

Updated info on my condition: MRI shows 2mm disc bulge at L5/S1 (the level right below my fusion), along with neural foraminal narrowing and facet disease, both on the left side

• Same problem I had. Did 6 sessions and chiro at the same time. Some sessions were great. Either way though the relief was good for 1-3 days then it came right back. At $100 a visit I gave up. I can't see paying that long term. They want you to go weekly for quite a while.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    Over the past 3 years, I have had probably over 50 acupuncture sessions for cervical, thoracic and lumbar problems.

During the sessions, I was so comfortable and had a lot of relief. During the following 48 hours I still felt so much better.

However, after that time frame, all the pain came back.

When I was having 2 sessions weekly for about 2 months, the time frame that I still felt good increased.

Still, it was never long lasting
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Now I have to decide if it's even worth going to any more sessions. I could see continuing if the effects were going to last, but now I don't know. Thanks for the input :)
  • Entire Post deleted. Solicitation at Spine-Health is not permitted

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 02/22/11
  • I pay about $70 per visit (I was a bit off in my pricing on my first post), however my acupuncturist has a lot of different credentials (L.Ac.,O.M.D.,Dipl of Acu. from NCCAOM). I'm not sure that credentials are what determine price per visit, but I really wish those visits were cheaper, because at twice a week, acupuncture is putting a big dent in my bank account :(
  • I tried acupunture for 3 months, it only helped for a couple of hours. I am not sure if having to go back to work right after made it so short lived (WCB appointments were what they were). My insurance only covers 500 per year, so that doesn't go very far. For me a couple of hours wasn't work the price.
  • They say you're supposed to rest after an acupuncture session, but I've tried that also, and it doesn't seem to make a difference in how long the relief lasts. My acupuncturist tells me it could take a few months in order to have lasting results, but I would think there would have been some kind of sign that they were going to last by now if that was the case.