Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here.....Wanted to say Hello!

loveermedlloveermed Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, Im new to the board as far as posting have been reading for awhile......Want to give a liitle insight about me and I apologize if its confusing.

July of 09 I rolled over in bed and felt a pop, immediately had sciatica pain in left leg. Not unusual have had severe sciatica forever it seems like. let it go for a few weeks and noticed increased pain, leg numbness and thought I had foot drop. Went PCP confirmed foot drop with bad muscle control loss. Sent for immediate MRI and ended up having emergency surgery 2 days later. Never really got out of pain, went home followed docs orders to a t. Woke up about 9 days post op with severe lower left leg pain.....thought great blood clot. I let it go for another day, could not handle the pain went to ER. Low and behold it had reherniated.

I dont know how or why. Needless to say after 2nd surgery felt wonderful. Spent 9 months pain free, returned to work felt great!

Then the pain started again.......had another sugery September 09 different surgeon than first 2, same disc, same everything. Felt ok. was working on getting back to work but never coulde get pain free. Increasingly got worse finally went back to surgeon had another MRI, myelogram herniated again!!

Just had my 4th L4 L5 discectomy on January 26, 2011. Gelt good for first week. Now am in so much pain couldnt even get up steps this morning. The pain has gone from just left leg to both left and right. Left foot numb as heck.....I am only 39 and feel so much older. They told my husband if it happens again I will have to have a fusion done. I really feel they should have done the fusion when they got in there and saw how unstable the disc was.....I guess my question is.....HAs anybody had this many and then been successful and pain free. I hurt so bad! I'm on vicodin 750 and doesnt even help, Not sleeping, not eating, I guess I'm really not having a life. I've missed so much in the last 16 months with my kids and husband and am so frustrated.

Thanks for listening sorry if I went on and on just really needed to vent

Tabatha >:D<

• Welcome to the boards. Everyone on here is so caring and helpful. I am so sorry that you need to be here. Wow you have had a lot of surgeries on one disc. I am sorry you are having so much pain. I am waiting for a fusion of l5/s1 possibly l4/l5.
    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you will get some relief and that disc will stay put and not re herniate.
    All the best
    gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. this is a great place to come and vent so let it go!! we all understand. please make yourself at home and have a good look around.. stop by anytime.. sometime being around others who feel as you do, can help with the pain!! i do hope this works out for you without another surgery!! good luck! Jenny :)
  • Hi and welcome.

Wow, some of your story sounds all too familiar. I awoke and streched wrong in bed and felt/heard that same pop...I will never forget the pain.

Anyhow, I've had 2 microdiscectomies on L5/S1. It is not uncommon for the surgery not to work the 1st time, especially if it is micro. They can often 'miss' a piece or you lose another piece so quickly before scar tissue has time to form to sort of 'block' more from coming out.

My understanding is that most doctors will only do 2 at the same level, however, there is a post (and I'll try to find it) of someone having had 3. Why? Because similar to you & me, the doctor 'didn't count' the first reherniation. They felt as if it was just a piece that was always there and had room to come out of the spinal column.

I'm not a doctor but I would think 3 at the same level would be about it before they would declare the disc problematic and just recommend a fusion.

As for 'changing' the surgical approach after you are under...I would be surprised if they did that. I asked my surgeon if that would happen with my 2nd surgery and he said no, that's rarely the case. He said if he felt I needed a fusion, he would have discussed it with me. He told me that the only time he's ever 'switched' surgery after the patient is under is to switch from a minimally invasive procedure to regular and even that is rare and he'd get my husband's approval.

Anyhow, I'm a year out from surgery 2 and doing better. No where near 100% but no foot drop anymore. I still have numbness and pain but it is bearable. I no longer walk with a limp.

I do agree that if you herniate again, I suspect you would be almost bone on bone. I'm no doctor but worth asking your doctor at your next appt.

Sorry you are having such troubles.