Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Disc Replacement Video Footage C6-C7

discreplacementddiscreplacement Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My neurosurgeon was kind enough to send me the footage of my cervical disc replacement (C6 - C7) so I put together this video showing the states from start to finish. Really interesting stuff!

Contact me should you want more information.

• This was very interesting.

How long ago was your surgery, and how are you feeling?

• My surgery was in July 2010 and I am feeling pretty good!! All the nerve pain went immediately. I do have a few other issues higher up (spondylosis etc) but anything that was related to the rupture at C6-C7 has now all gone away. My surgeon was really really good and he's given me all these videos and images so I can share with the world!!

• My son was at Warwick University.

I am having problems with my neck and wonder what the future holds for me.
    I had a lumbar fusion with decompression last March.
    At that time I asked about disc replacements, but was told that there wasn't much success with them. I suspect that it will be the future of disc problems, but am waiting with interest to see.

Did your surgeon broach what would happen if this surgery failed? (Sorry, but I had to ask :S )

I really hope that you will prove that there are some very successful ADR surgeries out there. :-)

I'll keep watching your story. You are very lucky to have such a good surgeon. I don't think that there are very many who are doing ADR yet.

• It's true that many surgeons are hesitant to do ADR surgeries. I was told that I was not a good candidate due to kyphosis, so had no choice but to have ACDF. Research shows that those with kyphosis that get ADR often end up with a fusion at that level regardless. Also, depending on where your live, insurance often covers only 1 level.

Thanks for sharing the video! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • When I saw my surgeon in April 2010, he showed me my MRI and all we spoke about was disc replacement. He didn't even mention fusion. He is from Egypt and has been in the UK for many years and has done over 1000 replacements!! He's very good at what he does. I saw a video on youtube where a chap fractured his spine and my surgeon repaired it with cement through key hole surgery! Very unusual but it worked. Only 2 hospitals in the UK do this and not many surgeons in the world can boast about being able to do that. I felt totally comfortable with my surgeon and he was very honest with me and told me about the consequences if it went wrong ie: paralysis and also that there could be a chance that I would lose my voice forever. And the others like infection etc.

I was fortunate enough to have this on the NHS (National Health Service) and having not shelled out a penny, I feel very fortunate. I have a friend who I met through one of my videos who has just paid £15,000 to have one level done privately!!

I saw my surgeon 3 times after surgery and he has been so supportive and because of my videos that I have done which is some good PR for him, I know that if I ever have any issues he will do all he can to help.

Disc replacement is also quite popular in Germany. I also met someone through seeing my video who is in the US Army over there and had hers done late last year which was also successful.

I also work with a colleague who had hers done 10 years ago in Germany. That was when it was relatively new but I envision this type of surgery will be very poplular in another 10 years.

• Thank you for the video.
    I wrote to this forum asking for information about ADR some weeks ago.
    I also checked some videos about surgeries done in Germany.
    Good to know that you had a succesful surgery and is happy with the results.

For the moment, after an EMG, it seems that I will not be submitted to cervical surgery in the short term. However, based on MRI and medical opinions some time in the future it is possible I will need one.

Very important source of information for decisions ahead.

Thank you,
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Grovey stuff .... and only took 6 minutes !!

Glad that this has worked out so well for you!

I feel like I am a dinosaur having traditional fusion and missed the adr bus ... but then again being multi-level and post a failed 2 level I wouldn't have been a candidate for adr from what I've read to date.

Again thanks for sharing your experience ... It gives me hope that maybe in time there will be alternatives to the status of my situation.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• How are you these days..

Hope you are doing well.

• Hi Freshman & Metal Neck!

I'm doing ok thanks. As stated earlier, I do have a few other issues higher up so unfortunately I am not quite 100% as yet. The disc replacement was a success though and all the nerve pain I had from that has gone which is a huge bonus as it was pretty bad at times.

I'm sometimes super impatient and needed to realize that I had to take my time to recover properly. I think a lot of other people have this problem also.

I wish the surgery was 6 minutes long is real life!! ha ha.
    debate. the media is always saying how people from all over the world come to america because of our superior health care delivery. Well here is at least one example of the inverse being true. People that want/need ADR must go overseas to get this appropriate and cutting edge procedure performed ... face it american docs and the FDA are wimps!!

Spine-health Moderator

I am only doing O.K. at best. I have a significant area of stenosis at C3-4 above my construct and have been recently dx'd with a herination at l4 - l5 impinging the L5 nerve root. So things are still heading in the wrong direction. More DDD and stenosis. The machine is slowly breaking down.

Spine-health Moderator

• Hi Metalneck,
    Hoping always for the best to you.
    Kind Rgds,
  • I've been scheduled for surgey in april. But I was told by several different doctors that I will never be able to do my job again. I am a mail person. I'm trying to see about any complications and if any of you were able to perform all of the activities you did before your injury.
  • Personally, for me, I can do quite a bit but my issues are more muscular now as a lot of sports I've not done in such a long time because of the problems in my neck. I played golf to a very high level for many years as this was my career and profession, but I always had lower back issues and never anything with my neck. However, I've not played golf in about 5 years and since my surgery so would be interested to see how my neck and body responds to it. I did play badminton though about 6 months after surgery and was fine after. There was no chance of me playing badminton when my neck was in the bad shape that it was.

I've accepted that I may not have the same neck that I did a few years ago because of the various issues in there now, but with saying that, the disc replacement has given me my quality of life back and that is what I was after.