Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sholder and neck pain

shellsshell Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in New Member Introductions
hello all im am here looking for answers i have this pain on my left side of my sholder towards the middle and im not to sure if it is comeing from my neck when i stand straight up drop my arm the pain will feel like someone has a hook in there and wants to rip it out i have some pain that goes down my back by your chicken bone area and in the front middle chest area sometimes up my face all on the left side i have been to the dr and now im in physical therphy and needless to say its not working any ideas anyone please help im at the point where im having panic attacts

• ~X( shoulder miss spelled
  • ~X( shoulder miss spelled
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Has your doctor done any diagnostic studies yet??
    X-Rays, MRI's, EMG's, Bone scans, Discograms, NCV's?
    Tested reflex'es? These are some of the more common ways that physicians will start to move towards a diagnosis of your pain(s)....

Pain in general can lead towards feeling of depression and or panic-ie episoids as the not knowing what is going on .... goes on. Has your doctor suggested that you see a psychologist or other mental health type professional to review the panic type feelings that you are having?

Again ... welcome, we are here to provide support within the allowances of the forum rules and regs and can not provide diagnoses or review test results etc ... but we can provide a sympathetic ear and maybe provide some "food for thought" as well as share our own experiences.

Hoping you find answers ....

Warmest regards,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• please do i will read what anyone can put out there so i have a idea on whats going on yes i have had a xray done and i am going to p.t.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of information throughout this site and the members of the forum are very helpful, knowledgeable and supportive. (Ok, that's my typical opening line, but it's so true that I simply must say it.)

So, did your PCP do the x-ray and send you to PT? I'm interested because I also had a sudden onset of major pain in the middle/left side of my back, like being stabbed, and went to my PCP. She said I was having major muscle spasms that lead her to believe I was having problems with my neck, so she ordered x-rays, told me my cervical area looked "not so good" and sent me to PT. After six weeks, with no positive results, she sent me for an MRI and after looking at it, sent me to a spine surgeon.

I indeed did have major cervical issues and ended up having surgery. BUT, that's definitely not to say that you're having the same issue, but if you're starting with your PCP, then I believe you're starting with the right doctor.

What did the doctor say about your x-ray and where was the x-ray done, in your neck area?

Take care,
  • yes i did have x-rays one and i am in pt now but nothing is changing i think im having panic attacts now because i dont know whats wrong with me i sit and look at my family and cry so if anyone out there has any ideas please share them i go back to the dr on the 25th for a recheck and i would like to maybe tell him what to look for thanks all
  • I'm sorry you're having panic attacks due to the unknown. I think most of us can relate to the stress of not knowing what's going on and waiting. Unfortunately, spine problems usuallly come with a lot of waiting, but it is what it is.

If you can find a way to realize in your mind that even if you have problems with your cervical spine, it's usually fixable in one way or another. Many of us have been through what you're going through and we're still around to talk about it. I doubt that this will help you, but the majority of the forum members here will back me up when I say that the anticipation of what will happen is much worse than what actually happens. So worrying is simply not worth it. If you can't settle your mind down and continue to have panic attacks, go back to your PCP and see if s/he can give you something to help, like xanax or something similar.

As for your doctor's appointment, you won't need to tell him what to look for. In fact, you don't want to. You want him to find what the problem is and give you a plan of action. I've put two links below to some great info in the FAQ section of Spine-Health. You might find these valuable when you go to see your doctor.

Of course, there is a lot more information throughout this site and you might benefit from browsing through the FAQ section where I pulled the links above from.

Good luck to you. Really, spine problems aren't easy, but with the right doctor you can get through them and back to normal.

One more thing: Please, please, please don't measure spine problems and results by what you read on these forums. There are many, many members who've had spine problems and either had surgery or conservative measures that were successful and don't come back here any more. They're off living their lives like normal people and no longer need the support that's given here.

Hang in there Shell. We'll be here for you during your journey so you'll always have someone to talk to and ask questions. And most importantly of all, do what you can to keep from panicking about the situtation, whatever it takes. The stress only increases the pain and as you know, that part is bad enough already. Having some stress is perfectly normal, but do what you can to get your attacks under control. It could be that with more research and talking with us might help take the strain off, as we've walked in your shoes.

Take care,