Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ohmybackoohmyback Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am preparing for my fusion this coming Thurs, and of course I am doing alot of reading and even watching some videos. I have to admit I watched a series of videos of a young man on youtube who had the same levels of fusion as I am having, and it scared me a lot.

My question is, I think he had PLIF, and I am scheduled for TLIF which I as I understand it, is much less invasive. For people who have had TLIF, can you give me some information about your recovery? Or if you can shed light on the differences I would appreciate it.

• I had a TLIF surgery on my L5-S1 disc about 6 weeks ago.. and as for my recovery it has been rough.. but i also have an auto-immune disease called RSD which affects my left leg, plus i also have alot of quad muscle atrophy in that same leg and only about 40% ROM..so for me recovery is hard when you only have one good leg to stand on, literally speaking...and since i have had the surgery it only in flared the RSD even worse...so i have to use a walker to walk and i am also in a back brace as well.. which is sometimes standard for back surgery depending on your surgeon...just wanted to give you a little background before i gave you some input on how my surgery went b/c my problems don't happen to everyone...The disc i had fixed was totally blown and i had a one level fusion.. I have another disc that is only bulging at the moment, in which is the L1-2 and we are leaving it alone and pray to god it heals itself or doesn't get any worse.. but it started bothering about 3 weeks before the surgery even happened and is still bothering me now but that is another story...anyway back to the TLIF surgery, as for the surgery itself the doc said it went well and i was in there for about 4 hours or so..I had my surgery on Dec.28th so like i said i am about 6 weeks out and i am still in a great deal of pain.. Some of the pain that i had before the surgery is still there, but we hope it is still to early to tell.. as for the fusing part, my last x-ray of course didn't show any fusing yet, but that is normally at a 4 week visit...was basically checking to make sure everything was in place and nothing had been moved. and that all was fine.. but like i said so far for me i still really hurt and can't move all that well and still on alot of pain medication..But please don't let me story scare you b/c not everyone's surgery turns out this way..I already had other issues going on when I went in...I had a left knee surgery in 08' and my body rejected the surgery itself so i never ended up healing all the way and then they even went back in about 6 months later again to take some scar tissue out and see if there was anything they missed and i have never been the same since the 1st time around.. But going back to the back surgery i knew going in that i was going to have a very long recovery ahead of me...and then at that he also made it abundantly clear that there was chance that this surgery may not work, but gave me a 90% chance that it would..and those odds were good enough for me..To me it was better then doing nothing and staying pain...which was a 24/7 days a week thing...This is my story so far but i'm not post op very long so someone else will probably have a much happier story to tell.. But very good luck with your surgery and let us all know how you are doing and how everything went....take care....and I'll keep you in my thoughts...