Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Permanent SCS

jay911jjay911 Posts: 540
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Well after a lot of frustration getting my doctors on the same page (and thinking I was going to have to wait another month) I found out Friday that everything is finally in order and I'm going in Monday (that's right, tomorrow!!) to have my permanent SCS implanted. Woo Hoo!!

We determined from the trial that I would need a paddle lead and the neurosurgeon agreed to put the IPG in my abdomen instead of my back (at my request). I'll spend the night in the hospital for observation and barring any problems going home on Tuesday.

Oh, happy days!!

• Al long last you are getting your permanent implant!! That's just great. Come Tue. you will tingling!!

I hope this works out great for you.

Best of luck my friend.

Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • Sounds great. Best wishes on a speedy recovery and great success with pain management.

• Here's wishing you the very best!! I hope this greatly improves your quality of life.

Marianne :)))
  • Thanks all, I'm done and now in a hospital bed for the night.. Now that the locals have worn off I'm hurting pretty good. Hope I can sleep tonight, the hourly Dilaudid should help in that department!

Thanks for the well wishes, I greatly appreciate them more than you'll know. I hope tonight I can sleep...

Good-nite all!
  • =D> Now the deed is done and I mean that in a good way.
    Hope you slept well and are buzzing soon.
    Here's to less painful days.

Good luck
    Patsy W
  • =D> Now the deed is done and I mean that in a good way.
    Hope you slept well and are buzzing soon.
    Here's to less painful days.

Good luck
    Patsy W
  • Thanks Patsy, yes I'll drink to that! I started buzzing while I was in post-op & half out of it... The other half was buzzing along nicely. I haven't shut it off since! I'm home and set up on the couch with my icepack and oxycontin on board, all is good!
  • C Thank you for all the great info you've provided here! It was so very helpful in finding a lot of good information in one place in addition to the forum with experienced users. I felt like I went in informed and was comfortable with how the procedure was going to go. I asked to have the IPG put in my abdomen and they were accommodating to that and a couple minor requests. I'm grateful for all the info, advice and help here from SH even though the docs have ruled out spinal problems for me...well at least structurally.

• Really glad to hear that you are getting good relief from your new addition. Now take it easy and let everything scar in good before you start running marathons and doing your morning calisthenics. Really glad that we were able to give you some helpful information.

• <:P That is wonderful news Jay! I LOVE hearing success stories.

Do not hesitate to take your pain meds when you need them. Keep the ice handy and take it easy!! Every day the surgery pain will ease up a bit and soon be gone.

Cough....Cough...Clears throat and sings..."Happy days are here again"!!

Patsy W
  • Well I'm two weeks post-op and have learned that I run about 80% of the battery in the IPG after about 10 days. After running it down this low a couple times I'm going to do a weekly recharge, won't have any issues with over-discharge.

I have discovered only one down-side to the SCS... Since it covers my back and legs, I cannot put my cell phone on vibrate because I don't feel it! Otherwise I have absolutely no complaints! Well aside from the residual pain from the laminectomy. Not taking the additional meds though, I'm back on my normal meds. I'm weaning myself off of several of my meds, neurontin first and then I'm going to switch to ms-contin and wean from the long-term meds. My goal is to get to where I have breakthrough pain meds only, I think that goal is attainable because of how well it is working for me. (Fingers crossed!)

Today is my first day back to work and I'm holding up okay. I still have pain from the incision on my back when I lean back in my chair, which is unfortunate but hopefully won't be long until that resolves. I really can't wait for me to completely heal from the surgery so I can have a real comparison to what I was feeling before the implant.

Cheers my buzzing brothers & sisters,
  • That's excellent news. It is funny the things we find that our stimulators interfere with, that we had no idea about before. Since my SCS is stimulating my shoulders, arms and hands, I found that I cannot take anyone's pulse or any critter's pulse. I cannot distinguish the pulse through the stimulation. Can you put your cell phone in your front pocket? Would you be able to feel it there?

Good luck back at work. Please be careful, but enjoy the sense of freedom once again. Heal up quickly.

• Your story should inspire others who are "on the fence" about the stimulator.

Being able to return to work so soon is huge! That is just great that it is helping you so much. Isn't pain relief the most womderful feeling in the world?

Good luck with the meds and continued success with your stimulator.

Patsy W
  • Jay-
    Congrats on your success. I too "buzz" up and down my backside and find the pain relief irreplacable.

Just a personal note on the cell phone business - I have a DroidX and I was keeping it in my back pocket - right up against my battery and I fried the darn thing. It was still under warranty and after the Verizon guy said, "Mam, I don't know anything about a "stimulator," he replaced the phone for free. I am now advised that unless my cell phone is in a Faraday Cage, I shouldn't put it near my EMF generating battery.

Good luck to you, sir-
  • I am very new to here and am less than 24hrs into my trial scs. Why have it in your abdomen vs bum like suggested?
  • moodlymoo,
    Sorry it's been a long time replying, I didn't see there was another post here!

My decision to have it in my abdomen was based on activities that I engage in and ease of changing programs. I don't have anything that would interfere with the IPG if it's in my abdomen, but possibly would if it was in my back. One thing I decided during my trial was that it was a pain in the butt (so to speak) to make program changes with the external IPG in the back and much easier when it was up front. (Since it hooked on my belt I could change where it sat.) One thing I can say is that there was one extra incision during the permanent implant: they had to make a 3/4" cut on my side to route the leads properly from my back to the IPG in my abdomen. I actually didn't even realize that I had that incision until they told me because it didn't even bother me!

Hope your trial went well and you're able to move on to a permanent if that is the way you want to go.