Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MTX for Psoriatic Arthritis

JwriterJJwriter Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
Hello All -

Was wondering if anyone here is taking Methotrexate (with or without Humira 0r Enbrel) as I just began 10mg MTX once per week with Folic Acid daily and 50mg's Sub-Q Enbrel weekly as well...and if so, what kind of results are you seeing on that regimen of meds??? I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis in April of 2010 and am ANA positive...that being a precursor for Systemic Lupus, I'm symptomatic that was too.

Your replies would be much appreciated and thanks folks!

• I was on MTX for two years, Jeff; I was diagnosed with some form of spondyloarthritis - POSSIBLY psoriatic arthritis - and after a trail run of sulfasalazine was put on MTX. (I am HLA-B27 negative, which complicates the diagnosis.) At the beginning, I had some good pain relief, but last fall, my pain levels went up, my nausea increased and my rheumatologist and I decided it was probably a good time to discontinue the MTX. I have now been approved for Enbrel, but because of an upcoming shoulder surgery, I wasn't able to start it. I also have a lot of back problems, and my rheumatologist feels we should investigate those further to determine whether they are, in fact, rheumatology-related or neurosurgical issues.

I started out at the lowest dose of MTX and ended up at the maximum dose, and took 2 to 5 mg of folic acid daily, except the day of my injection (very important!).

Good luck, and I hope you get some improvement.

• Hello Tracy Lynne -

Thanks so much for the reply, quite the similar situation...I too am HLA-B27 negative, but am ANA positive which pretty much solidified the Psoriatic Arthritis diagnosis for my Rheumatologist.

I was first put on Humira (1 injection every other week) and it worked well in decreasing swelling, flares, etc. but made me feel completely wiped-out for 3 to 5 days after the injection. So, I was switched to Enbrel (1 injection per week) and while I don't get the "wiped-out" feeling, it doesn't work as well as the Humira did on swelling, etc. and that's why the MTX has been added to the regimen. I take one 10mg tablet of MTX every week, and a 5mg tablet of Folic Acid daily. So far, the MTX has been causing some gastric reflux issues and leaves me feeling tired but what the heck...so does the Oxycontin, Oxycodone, Lyrica and Amitriptylin that I take everyday. The MTX hasn't made a difference just yet, I've only had two doses and I'm told it can take up to 3 months before it starts to do it's thing and I'm hopeful that it does just that...cuz the pain and disability caused by the PsA is wearing me really thin!

Anyways, thanks again for responding Tracy Lynne and I really hope that the Enbrel works wonders for you...i can't help but wish the best for any and all of my fellow auto-immune, spine compromised peers because I know the misery (on many levels) that it can cause!

Bye for now and take care -

• I had reflux issues with the MTX too, and a friend of mine from another forum suggested Pariet, or Rabeprazole as the generic is known here in Canada. It is a stomach protectant, and it made a HUGE difference with the reflux. I couldn't believe I'd have that much trouble with an injectable drug, but I did.

I didn't realize they related the ANA test to PsA. as well; I thought it was only in relation to lupus. I'll have to mention that to my rheumatologist, as I was ANA positive at one point, then negative, then positive, but I know they sometimes don't rely on it too much.

(I just looked at my last post...I obviously meant "trial" run of sulfasalazine....I don't do "trail" runs!)

I hope the MTX kicks in for you soon; if it doesn't, they may have to increase your dose a bit at a time.

Take care and good luck. I've had chronic pain for 25+ years, so I can sympathize with your frustration!!

• Yes, I take the same dose of MTX as you I failed Humira and I'm now on Enbrel.

I have RA. Which is bad. I tested negative for ever blood test possible. I'm call sero-negative. Which causes that to happen.

However, one look at my hands and feet along with MRI's you can clearly see I have it.

If you need to know anything PM me. I can tell you about the drugs a little more if needed.
This discussion has been closed.