Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

really upset and depressed about treatment

alicefiveaalicefive Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Depression and Coping
I moved from the city I lived in to take a new job. My regular doctor(not paion clinic) is now two ours away from where I live now. I work contract so I don't get paid if I take time off from work. I found a new doctors office that is open until 8 PM every Monday. So I called to set up an apointment. I have high blood pressure and diabetes and will need a refill on my meds really soon. They took my name, address and phone number and asked why I need to be seen. I told them about moving and that I needed a doctor for general health and for med refills. They said they had a person that works with all new patients. Imagine my surprise when I received a message that" they would not be able to see me" I called hem back and asked were they not taking new patients? The woman told me they did not do narcotic refills! I told her I had only needed refills on my blood pressure meds and that I go to a pain clinic for my percocets. So she said okay and set up an appointment for me. I then asked her how she knew I was on narcotics. She said she had looked me up on a database. Has this happened to anyone else? I have never asked any doctor for a narcotic refill. I get them from the pain clinic only. I feel really insulted. They don't even know me. I would think they would have looked me up if I asked foir narcotics in their office but not until then. I would go somewhere else but I can't find anyone else with evening hours. Should I complain to the doctor when I see him?

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Isn't nice to know that big brother is everywhere!!

Orwell's 1984 was not that far off.

Welcome to S.H.

I hope you get settled in with your new doc's (and their staff)

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I don't know what I would say to this new Dr., but, if you are going to be a long term patient there do you not deserve to be treated fairly, with the respect and dignity that you deserve. Perhaps once you become an established patient things will be different and this Dr. will decide that you are worth treating all of your issues, however, many PCPs do not want to treat CP patients anymore and a lot do send their patients off to PM.

Many patients check on their Drs., and with the data-bases in place it is likely that any Dr. we give our names to might do the same and check up on us. If I were a Dr. I have to admit, I would probably do the same. I'm only trying to be honest and look at this objectively, though as a patient myself I do understand your reason for feeling insulted.

I wouldn't take it personally though because this Dr., being the only one in your area that is open one evening a week, it is likely that they get a lot of folks coming in only wanting their opiate prescription medication. If they tell you that they don't Rx controlled meds and yet you still go to see the Dr for your other medical concerns they will know that you are not "just another" one of those patients looking for a refill on their meds. We weed out bad or uncaring Drs, and the Drs have their own garden to tend to. Maybe this will be just what the Dr ordered...lol...haha...oh my. Anyway Alice, good luck, congratulations on your move, and welcome to Spine-health.
  • We can check them, no reason they can't check us. The only thing is they could have seen you and at least given you the benefit of talking to you directly.

They could have even just sent you out a pre-visit packet explaining their office policies.

I hope it turns out to be "just one of those things" and your visit is pleasant and you get the meds you need from them.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    and should be.
    It keeps Doctors and Pharmacies aware of drug seeker patients. And there are thousands of them out there.

About 20 years ago, after 6 months after one of my lumbar surgeries, I had gone for some ESI. The Pain Mgt doctor asked me if I needed any pain medications.
    I was low on my current supply, so I said yes. No problem filling the script.

But a day later I get a call from my surgeon telling me that I can not go to different doctors for pain medications. I apologized, I just thought I needed a refill, so whats the problem.

Many drug seekers go from doctor to doctor to get scripts and then quickly run out to fill them before the data bases get populated.

Having this type of data base and safeguard, can help assure that the people that need the medications get them and those that dont will not.

So, on the surface this may seem harsh, but it is really protecting us.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I agree, and I am glad the database is in place and working. It makes me feel better to know that if my Dr checks up on me I look like a compliant patient. One pharmacy+one Rx'ing Dr=compliant patient. It's a win-win for the CP patients.
  • Change in any form for chronic pain patients is never easy and also we continually adapt looking for that idea of best practice for ourselves. These circumstantial changes are only a blip on our journey and we have to get used to being monitored evaluated and equated collectively at times.

It is challenging being assertive all the time and our objectives when in pain seem attainable and simple, taking those tentative steps into the future is all part of the improving process and as Ron said, this process protects us all and provides that barrier through clinical need.

Take care and good luck with your future.

• I do have a wonderful Pain Clinic doctor that I go to every other month. He has agreed to write me a note that I can give to my new doctor stating I go to his clinic for pain relief. I agree that the data base is a good idea, I just wished they would have asked me why I was coming there instead of just assuming I was drug seeking and refusing me an appointment. I have been on pain meds for a little over 2 years and have only gotten them from my pain clinic doctor. I asked the woman at my new doctors office how she knew I was on narcotics and she told me they can look it. I told her I had a chronic pain problem and she kinda laughed and said she could believe it by the number of meds I was on. I take 10/325 percocets 4x per day. My pain doc had me on Norco for two months and then bumped me to the percocets. I have never had an increase for the dosage I am on. I did switch pharms a few times. I have insurance but no drug coverage. $187 a month from Rite Aide, about the same from Walmart but only $87 at Costco! Maybe she thought that was suspicious?
  • She had no right to laugh ("she kinda laughed") , and 4 pain pills a day might be considered nothing to some people. Even so, that is your business and to treat your pain, nothing for her to scoff at. Keeping one pharmacy is best, especially for those of us who have signed contracts with our Drs and we have no choice, but if you didn't sign a contract there is nothing wrong with shopping for the best prices on your medications. Even if you had a contract you can look for better prices, as long as you talk to your Dr about your change in pharmacy(s) then that is between you and your Dr, and certainly nothing wrong in finding better prices.

You are right in that they should not assume you are seeking, but unfortunately this is the life of the PM patient. The Drs do tend to assume too much at times and we patients (some of us) tend to feel as though we are always proving ourselves. Once we find the Dr we are comfortable with and they get to know and trust us well, all of *that* stress is gone and it can really help us get on with what is important.