Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Myelogram Wednesday & I'm scared!!

fishinwidow98ffishinwidow98 Posts: 54
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Spinal Injections
I have heard the typical stories...." They want you in pain to see where the problems lie " & " it was the worst pain I have ever experienced " I am terrified. I browsed around some of the previous posts and just would like to hear what y'all think. Pain meds & Xanax before? Will they give me something when it's over for the pain? I've had epidural steroids done so the injection isn't what scares me, it's the pain in general. What are they hoping to see? I am in pain and have numbness and tingling in my foot. How will this diagnose something. I am 6 months post op from the multi level 360 fusion, I just wanna be done with all the pain and tingles. Help!

• Hi Fish. I haven't had a Myelogram, so can't speak from experience. However, tamtam has had one, and I will PM her to stop by and give you some help here. In the meantime, check out this link. http://www.spine-health.com/video/myelography-myelogram-video
    After viewing the spine-health animated video, check the other links to articles related to myelography.

I hope the procedure gives the doctors information to help you. I know what you mean when you state "I just wanna be done with all the pain and tingles."

:) Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Hi Fish,

I have had several myelograms and never heard they want you in the highest possible pain. My experience is when they tip the table after the injection to get the dye to move to the appropriate area the dye has caused pain. I wouldn't put it in a 10 level of pain, but it is up there. Good news they have always given me meds to handle the pain. Typically within a few hours I am back to my base line pain levels. One thing I can't stress enough is when they say lay flat be sure to do so. That means all day long. You don't want the spinal headache. I have had one from a block from a surgery, and it is like a freight train screaming through your head. So do yourself a favor and lay low following the procedure. Get some movies and call it a movie day. Myelo's look at the actual space of the spinal canal and the surrounding nerve roots and gets a much clearly picture as to what is going on. Good luck on the procedure and I hope it yields some results to your issues. If you have any questions don't hesitate to pm me. Take care.
  • Thank you so much for the advice. I feel much more at ease although it is still a little scary. I do hope they can find out why I am still having the pain I am having as well as the numbness and tingling...etc. I appreciate it very much and if I do end up with more concerns I will PM you!