Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 years of severe pain SURGERY OR NOT?????

BaCk2LyFeBBaCk2LyFe Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello forum folks. I would like to thank all the people that have responded to the questions which have been extremely helpful in guiding those in need of medical advice. I am a 29 year old male that has a herniated disc at the L-5 S-1 level disc prostusion with radicupathy. I have sciatica i can barely sit and stand for longer than 2 hours max.Tingling pins and needles numbness, twitching of the back, weakness in the foot. Pain in the back is severe that i need norco in the middle of the night to finish my sleeptimel. I have read most of the post in this site however you guys have had your surgery before two years. I am fighting with workmans comp and one doctor says that i shouldnt have surgery because he was in a similar situation and it didnt work for him. I have basically gone bankrupt since my injury and near homeless. I would like to have a microdiscectomy because the drs. dont know about the pain that i endure and they arent the ones that are going to be broke. Anyone that has a microdiscectomy after 2 years please give me some knowledge and input on post surgery and what you think you should do in my shoes. THanks Everyone for your Support..

• Back2lyfe,

My Husband had 2 microdiscectomy operations on his L4, The first doctor was an ortho May 07 and didn't fix the issue. The 2nd was a neuro Jan 08 and my H is back running...He was back running 5 months post op. But I want to tell you something and this is important. My H had issues with his L4 for a long time. He lifted and turned picking up a heavy box in April 07. He had excruciating burning pain shooting down his leg. We/He had just moved to a new town and he had just started a new job and had to be out of town for 3 weeks teaching. He should have gone and had surgery immediately. His waiting left him with Drop Foot. He has learned to compensate especially when running, but he trips up alot just walking not being able to lift that foot. I think you should have the surgery. The success rate is very good and your young. No doubt you'll bounce back quick. You don't want drop foot fella...and if your just weak, you can get back your strength...I don't know the severity of your weakness...but the longer you wait the worse it might get. Do it, go have the surgery!
  • If it had been me, I would have taken out a loan to go get the surgery and deal with the legal battle after. Often times, you can negotiate a much lower cash price with surgeons, pay on the barrelhead and get squared away.

There is a time factor to take in to consideration. The longer a nerve is compressed the longer it takes to wake it back up. There is a point of no return for nerves. Sometimes they never wake back up and permanent damage is the result. (loss of motor function)

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • that you do need surgery {that's just my opinion} and my advice is to get the best surgeon that you can .i also know that having a surgeon that's not up to scratch can give you many years or pain and suffering ..again personal experience i am in the uk and waiting for a ALIF 360 fusion 4 consultants have refused to operate on me but i have found {by recommendation} a surgeon that will ..get a recommendation from a few patients don't just go for the first option
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Has any of your docs .... or anyone attempted an ESI yet??

I had my first one a couple of days ago and it has provided a suprising amount of pain reduction.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• back2lyfe,

Can't tell you what to do. That is your decision.
    about experience... I am a male and had a laminectomy at L5-S1 in 2002 at the age of 33. I had a great Nuero. I was out of work for about 5 weeks then went to work on light duty for 2 weeks. Felt like a millon dollars. Like I never had a problem. So good that I went back to doing stupid things. My job was very labor intensive and so was my recreation. I lasted 5 years then herniated at L4-L5.
    In 2007 had another laminectomy. Was out of work for about 3 months then. I have a different job now but still labor intensive. I have recently have begun having trouble with sublaxations. I think with 2 lamis it has made me unstable, but right now I still would not change anything. When I went in for my first one I could barely walk, I was bent over and limping Like I was 90. My wife said my attitude was different as soon as I woke up. Not all people are the same though, but the outcome is usually good. Threre are more people out there with good outcomes than people in here. They just feel good and have no reason to come on the site anymore. I only come back when I feel cruddy. It helps me to talk to people so I can relax and work out my aches. Sorry so long, GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • the difference between you and I is i have waiting 2 years and you have never waited longer than 6 months to have a surgery so that is what is bothersome. the fact that the i just figured out that you should have surgery after 6 months of no relief and that i should have had the surgery im fighting workmans comp they dont think i should have the surgery but i feel like i do.