Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Tumor L5 S1.

lincolnllincoln Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in New Member Introductions
My name is Danielle I am 29 and from Ontario Canada. In Febuary of 2010 I was diagnoised As having a Spinal tumor on L5 And S1 of my spinal Cord. May 20th I underwent 9 hours of surgury to remove the tumor from my spine. It was a very invasive procedure done both anterior and Posterior,With Lumbar Laminectomy.Fusion of L5 S1 I have a Metal disc Some screws and a A titanium Cage in place In my spinal Cord.
When I went into surgury I went in Facedown in which the surgeon who was awesome. Cut off some nerves in my spine And then the actual tumor was brought out thru my abdomen. I had three different surgeons working on me Neuro,vascular,spinal.
When I woke up from my surgury I could feel my feet, and all along The dr.s said I had great movements in my Caves and feet Etc etc.
I reacted for many days due to medications So to this day which has been 10 months Plus I havent take medications when I experience Pain. as I feel I react funny to the medications. I was In more pain then anything I have ever experienced in my life and I have had several surguries and health complications.I can't even really explain how much pain! I think had they not taken my insides out while operating and if I hadent had both front and back wounds which were both stapled at 60 some staples in total I would have been better if it was just the Back.
Before surgury I was told I would lose sensation in my right Shinn. and I would have a dropped foot in which I would have to live with all my life.
To everyones surprise I have come along way in my recovery I currently have right side Leg pain My right foot is always Hot and The bottom of me feet are very ruff and calis and have changed colour since my surgury. My left foot remains cold to touch alot and both feet tingle.Occasionally My rt Leg Upper thigh Is often numb feeling. And I find it difficult when I lay down for the night to get comfortable at first as I have a hard time letting the pressure off my spine. I def do not have a dropped foot tho like they said. Over all I wouldent wish this on anyone but Ide love to talk to someone who has gone thru something similar. I work in Health care in a nursing home and I am about to return to work on light duty I dont know how all do but im eager to give it a try I feel very lucky for sure and I couldent have had better care by my surgeons..Im considering wearing a brace at work on my back and ive updated my shoes and bed and I will be getting orthodicts and regular massage and gym rountines when I return ...at low impact. I def dont have the strength I use too im hoping someone out there can tell me if they still have pain ten months post surgury etc. any insight is great Thanks for listening.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry i cannot help you with your questions but i have no experience with your type of surgery.. drop into the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more input on that!if you are worried, perhaps you should speak to your doctor! i hope with time you are feeling even better! good luck! Jenny :)