Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain meds and pregnancy?

ashtonaaashtona Posts: 55
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Pain Medications
I have been prescribed extremely high doses of pain medication for a couple of years now due to several bad discs and nerve pain down my legs. I am currently on 100mcg Fentanyl every 48 hours as well as 15MG Morphine Sulfate as needed.

Now, my wife and I believe that she may be pregnant. She is showing signs. We already have a 3 year old but when we conceived him, I was on sporadic pain medication (on and off as needed for pain). We haven't been trying to get pregnant but haven't been protecting against it either. We were just at a point where if it happens, great, if it doesn't, so be it.

Well we believe it did.

My concern is what effect my prescriptions will have on my unborn child. Granted, I am not the one carrying the baby for 9 months and my prescriptions will no longer have an effect but is it possible they could have had an effect during conception.

I am obviously trying to be as clean as possible here. Can semen carry the chemicals of these meds to the egg and have an effect on fertilization, I guess is what I am asking. Which in turn might cause long term damage or even addiction?

• I have looked through all of my resources and I am 99% sure. No you CANNOT transfer any opiates in your sperm. Chronic opiate use actually slows sperm production. This would be a great topic to call your wife's OBGYN for. That way you get a straight answer from someone that you know is qualified.

• Yes, we are going to bring this up at her next appointment. I was just wondering for the short term.

I know that Heroine and Crack and all those other drugs can cause damage and even though my meds are pharmaceutical drugs and not street drugs, the chemical make up of Morphine and Heroine is pretty much the same.

So obviously I was nervous.