Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What is a friend?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Matters of the Heart
Over the years, so many of us have come in contact with folks from various walk of life. Some become solid acquaintances and others become friends.

But who really is a friend?
(Stealing some phases from Wikipedia)

- The tendency to desire what is best for the other
- Offer Sympathy and empathy
- Honesty, perhaps in situations where it may be difficult for others to speak the truth, especially in terms of pointing out the perceived faults of one's counterpart
- Mutual understanding and compassion
- Trust in one another (able to express feelings - including in relation to the other's actions - without the fear of being judged); able to go to each other for emotional support
- Positive reciprocity - a relationship is based on equal give and take between the two parties.

These are traits that mark a good friendship. It doesnt always happened and it can be difficult to achieve.

Being a dog lover, its easy to understand why they are called Man's best friend

- They are loyal
- They give unconditional love
- They always cant wait to see you.
- They want to please you
- etc

Having a friend is a true gift. Always cherish it.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Dogs don't mind smelling farts. Thats what my H says. LOL.

Experts say that the average person has only 1 or 2 true blue friends. I personally am not sure if that is true....I have 8 dearest of dear friends who would go to the ends of earth for me, and I them. Unfortunately, they are skattered all over the U.S...but we stay in touch.
  • You two have never worked for the gov or met the type of gals I work with! You "think" they are friends but figure out soon enough it just isn't so. I have one friend like that, and lots of men friends that are awesome but I probably wouldn't tell them too much personal information. I must say I do feel fairly comfortable talking to folks on this page, other than that - i'd say I'm pretty much a loner and I like it that way. No muss, no fuss, nobody gets hurt.
    Animals are great friends!! Your right about that!!
  • I think there's different types of "friends"... Your work friends, your neighbour friends, if you belong to a club of some sort, there's those friends, which are all what I think Marion was describing above. Then there's your true life friends, as described by Ron's post. Then of course, there are the acquaintances, who you are friendly with, like maybe out in the smoking area or cafeteria at work, you like them, but wouldn't confide in them.

I have tons of work friends and acquaintances, but only two real close friends.

Oh, but I can't forget about my fabulous on-line friends too!! They are a different category altogether, as even though we might not have met in real life, we lean on, support, cry together, laugh together, hurt together and rejoice together. Sounds pretty much just like real life close friends, doesn't it?

This reminds me of one of those e-mails that gets passed back and forth over the years:

Reason, Season, or Lifetime Friends

When someone is in your life for a reason, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed outwardly or inwardly. S/he has come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally, or spiritually.

S/he is there to meet a need. Then without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time, s/he will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes s/he dies. Sometimes s/he walks away. Sometimes s/he acts up or out and forces you to take a stand. What we must realize is that the need has been met.

When a person comes into your life for a season, it is because your turn has come to share, grow, or learn. S/he may bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh. S/he may teach you something you have never done. S/he usually gives you an unbelievable amount of joy.

Lifetime relationships teach you lifetime lessons. Those things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation. You must accept the lesson, love the person/people anyway, and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • A joke I heard recently... Lock your friend and your dog in the trunk of your car for an hour... Guess who is happy to see you when you open the trunk!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog it's too dark to read!"--Groucho Marx
  • Owwie

totally adorable, and i am the lucky owner of 4 four legged friends. 1 st.Bernard & 3 bichone's

....some days to many paws...